1st generation rear end swap

RivNut

Gents,

All of a sudden I'm getting a rash of technical questions that I don't feel fully qualified to answer, so here's another one I need to confirm.

Yesterday I got an email from an ROA member in SC. He was asking me if he could remove a 3.23 rear end from a '65 and install it in his '63 to replace the 2.78 the '63 now has.

I told him that I thought it was possible but he'd first have to remove the u-joint on the pinion shaft on the '63 and use it to replace the bolt flange on the '65's pinion shaft. Are there any differences in the number of splines on the axles or anything else that would prevent him from making this swap? If my assumption is correct, I'd appreciate a confirmation so I can email him back that it's been confirmed. If it's not correct, let me know that as well. Thanks,

Ed

PS - If he can do it, watch out for him if you see him at a stop light. He's running a 700-R4 behind his nailhead. With the steep 3.06 first gear in the trans and a 3.23 rear end, he'll have a real stump puller going for him. Those are better acceleration gear ratios than a Muncie M-22 four speed and a 4.11 rear end.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed, if possible see if he wants to buy my 63 3.23 posi instead of doing the swap. If he already has the 65 chunk, it should work. Splines are the same in the 63-65's. The low first gear works great, I have a low gear kit in my 64 with a 3.08 posi. Great combo, will work even better with more cam and a 2000rpm converter. I have driven. 3.42 65 GS and did not like the gear. Runs the motor too hard on the highway(I cruise 80-90mph). IMO Nailheads like no more than a 3.23 at crusing speed.

Ed, if possible see if he wants to buy my 63 3.23 posi instead of doing the swap. If he already has the 65 chunk, it should work. Splines are the same in the 63-65's. The low first gear works great, I have a low gear kit in my 64 with a 3.08 posi. Great combo, will work even better with more cam and a 2000rpm converter. I have driven. 3.42 65 GS and did not like the gear. Runs the motor too hard on the highway(I cruise 80-90mph). IMO Nailheads like no more than a 3.23 at crusing speed.

I'll do that. I think he has the chuck. It probably depends on how much you want for it, and how much it would be to ship it.

Give me your zip code and I'll let him figure shipping.

Will that 3.23 carrier work with my 3.91 gear set? The 3.91 with my 200-4R would be a scream. I'd have the fun with the high numerical gear from stop light to stop light, but when the .67 o/d kicks in for the highway, that 3.91 becomes a 2.62. I think I figured that with a 225/70R15 tire that with the trans in o/d that the engine would be turning about 1800 rpms at 70 mph. 4,500 rpms pushed the speedo way beyond it's limits.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Sounds good, Ed, I appreciate it! My zip is 33026, obviously, shipping won't be cheap, but I will work with him on the price and at least mine is a straight bolt in with the U-joint yoke instead of the flange. Send me a PM with your email and I will email you my contact info. Thanks!

Will that 3.23 carrier work with my 3.91 gear set? The 3.91 with my 200-4R would be a scream. I'd have the fun with the high numerical gear from stop light to stop light, but when the .67 o/d kicks in for the highway, that 3.91 becomes a 2.62. I think I figured that with a 225/70R15 tire that with the trans in o/d that the engine would be turning about 1800 rpms at 70 mph. 4,500 rpms pushed the speedo way beyond it's limits.

I am pretty positive that the 3.23 carrier will not work with the 3.91's. A 3.42 carrier should work, though. Deep gears and overdrive do go well together, my daily driver is a Trailblazer SS with factory 4.10's. I also had a 91 Lincoln Mark VII with 4.10's and a SVO low gear kit in the AOD(2.84 first) with a built 302, Wolverine 1087 cam and 2900rpm PI converter. That combo was killer, went high 12's @ 4000+lbs all motor, daily driver. I am working towards a similar combo with my 64 Riv. The cam/converter/first gear/rear gear combo is what makes a good car great.

Guest Rob J

Just a plug for Dave. He knows his stuff when it comes to our first Gen cars. He helped me rebuild my 401 Nailhead out of my 65, and his knowledge is top notch.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...