Further Reatta Problems

MarkV

Well I was driving the reatta last night and it began to stall and become sluggish with little or no acceleration then a jut of acceleration. The check engine light came on listing a electrical issue. The coil, ignition module and the plugs and wires are good. The plug in is tight and everything looks fine. It is listing an e042 current and e027 history. The problem went away and now it is back. The car has an issue during cold startup whre it does not want to start. Could it be a sign of a bad crank sensor? Could it be a bad second gear sensor? Help!

I would suspect a bad ICM or the connection between it and the ECM. You are loosing power because the ECM is loosing control of the spark advance and the ignition system is in bypass mode. There could be an issue with the spark knock detect sensor that might cause it. The transmission switch is not the problem in my opinion.

If I remember correctly haven't you had a problem with the ICM plug before? If so that is where you should start looking for the problem.

I wouldn't be concerned with the code 27 until you have the code 42 resolved. To find the cause of the code you need to go through the flow chart on page 8D1-55 of the '89 FSM to determine what is causing the problem. I'm looking at that chart right now and basically what it does is lead you through the process of determining why the ICM is not communicating with the ECM.

In my opinion one of three things is going to be your problem. A defective ICM, a defective ECM or a bad connection between them.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Ronnie is spot on about the code 42 problem. There is a communication issue between the ICM and ECM most likely a problem with the connector and/or wires.

The cold start problem could just be the fuel pump relay on the firewall.

Did you download the 89 FSM from Reatta Data Page ? Without that the page references will not make sense.

Have you been doing anything around the bulkhead connector of the HVAC programmer ? The ECM is next to the programmer and there are three multipin connectors on the bottom. In my experience, usually a 42 is either a bad ICM or wiring/connectors.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Well the icm is newer and it did it with the first one I replaced it with as well. So, I dont get it. All of the connections are tight. Do you think the computer is going bad? My symptoms are similar to the other post about acceleration problems. The car never does shut off.

42 is electrical so I'd look at wiring. If it starts suddenly after cranking for 15-20 seconds then I'd be looking at the fuel pump relay - is only used during starting and oil pressure switch taakes over above about 4 psi.

42 surging is a sign of ignition coil failure and is a shared ignition code between multiple GM fuel management systems. For example, a Fiero ignition module can be working fine but then all of a sudden cause flames to shoot out the tailpipe throwing a code 42 too. An ignition coil can even test good at a parts store and still be intermittent. I just found a Buick tech video talking about the same stalling issues specifc to the 3800. I'm also shocked that Buick recognized how crappy the Magnavox coils were.

:( Youtube won't allow direct links to specific video start time. starts at 21:56

http://youtu.be/aeV6Ta2gTjE?t=21m56s

This page also offers tips on testing the ignition system with an ohmmeter. If your coils are unknown age, replace them.

http://www.justanswer.com/buick/4wnwy-buick-le-sabre-1988-buick-le-sabre-3800.html

Edited by SeanR (see edit history)

As Ronnie said the diagnosis chart for a code 42 is on page 8D1-55 of the 89 FSM. That is the place to start since the quick things are not working. Code 27 replates to the transaxle gear indicator and I would not be concerned about one in (h)istory.

When it happens does it feel like a miss, surge, or just a general loss of power ?