37 Plymouth Coupe Headliner

Guest parker.don

Guest parker.don

I am installing a headliner in a 1937 Plymouth Coupe and I believe I am missing some parts around the door frame area. Anyone know of any places I can buy interior parts for this car or have pictures of a completed headliner I can reference to make new pieces? I can not seem to find much about this car online.

The former "technical advisor" for 1937 models for the Plymouth Owners Club lives in my area. I'll see if he has photos of the interior especially of the headliner. If not, I know a '37 P4 coupe owner in the area to see if they have or can take a photo.

What parts do you think you're missing? There should be a few wire rods screwed into the sides of the body which hold and form the curve above the doors and quarters. They fit into pockets sewn into the headliner. Usually there is a flap sewn along folds ( in line with the rod pockets ) that are tacked to wooden bows or tack strips across the roof. The lower edge of the headliner usually gets nailed to a tack strip or is tucked behind the uphostery panels. After nailing ,a piece of wire on welt is nailed over the tack strip to hide the nails.

Guest parker.don

I am in the process of making bows as we speak (couldn't find any online or would have bought), more so worried about around the door frame, I was assuming there would be a panel with teeth on the back side of it the liner would tuck up into or that there might be a panel to screw on top to finish the edge. Also assuming that the headliner is kind of free in the back end behind the trim panels? I am used to doing headliners in 50s Chevrolets and similar. there seem to be some major differences here and the car was gutted when I got it unfortunately.

Edited by parker.don (see edit history)