1936 Dash Colour

50jetback

I'm having trouble identifying the original dash colour on my 1936 Century Convertible Coupe.

Is the dash painted the colour of the car ( as in the attached photo ) and the glove box lid and instrument surround in a grey almost " candle smoked " finish?

Any help and photos appreciated!

post-31244-143141863465_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Stuart,

Photos of my 36-40 dash. One without and one with flash. Dash is the color of car body. Glove box and insturment panel are some off color, not sure what they are. Note turnsignals were added by my grandfather because of Pennsylvania inspection laws years ago.

Tom

post-86558-143141863721_thumb.jpg

post-86558-143141863725_thumb.jpg

Guest KeithElwell

My phone won't let me open attache thumbnails so I can't see Toms pix but I know from talking with him that the car is original with respect to dash and trim color.

I was recently bent on a solution to "restoring" the finish on my 36 Buick instr cluster surround, glove box door, and window moldings. I came to learn that a couple of vendors have what they claim to be the original pattern for 36 which seems to be a one year only pattern. These vendors will not provide this pattern free, I suppose they fear it will be copied and take away their business. But having seen this original pattern, not being thrilled with it, and not building my car to show but enjoy (affordably), I chose a vendor who did a beautiful job of applying a film process dark wood burl. I will post photos and will provide the vendor info via PM to any interested parties.

Stuart:

Here is a photo of a 1936 Buick Roadmaster 4 door Convertible that I saw at one of the BCA Nationals.

The car is green with a offset trim of lighter green.

This car has been judged many times at the Nationals and has won top honors.

I believe the car to be 100% correct unless the judges got it wrong, the restorer, or myself.

The dash is not the same color as the car. Note the window trim and glove box has the " candle smoked " finish.

Most 1936 Buick dash's that I've seen has this combination. Candle smoke finish with the rest of the dash the same color as the window trim and glove box but with out the "smoke".

I have seen some 1936's with the "smoked finish" on the entire dash. I don't believe this is correct.

I would call the "smoked finish" marble like in appearance.

Hope this is helpful.

post-58764-143141863978_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Stuart, Everyone has the right to restore or modify their car to suit their personal taste, I have no quarrel with that. However I can not find research where the dash of the '36 was painted a body color in production. My '36 sales order color page shows the dashboards to be"Chancellor Gray Metallic" ( my opinion, almost black) on the 40,60,80,and 90 series.The original '36s I have owned and others that I have seen (12-15) carried out this color. The instrument panel, glove box door, and window garnish/mouldings graining I would best describe as "marblelized" in a light Gray. Good luck in you restoration work! --Bob

Thanks Tom, Keith, Dave and Bob.

Okay, I suspected the dash may be a grey colour with highlited glove box and instrument surround. I've painted the car in Francis cream and the grey dash will clash on an open car ( to my eye at least ).

So I may take a little poetic license ( no other 36 Century Coupes in Australia to compare it with!! ) and leave the dash body colour and choose something to highlite the glove box and instrument surround.

Keith, I like the idea of the dark wood burl you mentioned and would like to see the finished product.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest KeithElwell

post-43647-143141865078_thumb.jpg

Here are photos of my instrument cluster bezel and glove box door. Again, this is absolutely not original but I liked it. I had the same process done on my window moldings, steering wheel, and gear shift knob. Dallas Camo and Color did the work for me. The car was originally black but my rookie body work would not have held up to a black paint job and I thought I would go with something lighter in these hot Texas summers so I went with Francis Cream.

post-43647-14314186503_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141865048_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141865063_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]189560[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189562[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189563[/ATTACH]

Here are photos of my instrument cluster bezel and glove box door. Again, this is absolutely not original but I liked it. I had the same process done on my window moldings, steering wheel, and gear shift knob. Dallas Camo and Color did the work for me. The car was originally black but my rookie body work would not have held up to a black paint job and I thought I would go with something lighter in these hot Texas summers so I went with Francis Cream.

Thanks Keith.

Well it may be absolutely not original but there are going to be at least 2 Francis Cream dashes with dark wood burl instrument cluster and glovebox doors.

I can't see myself doing a dark grey dash and faded grey marble inserts so this will be how I go.

My cars paint code tells me it was Muskateer Blue ( was white when I got it ) and I felt it needed to be a lighter colour - I love Francis Cream and it will much better suit our West Australian climate ( and dust!! ).

Thanks again everyone, problem solved - I now know what original should be ( thanks Bob ) and how I will do mine ( thanks Keith ) - you have to be happy with your own colour

Guest KeithElwell

A couple of folks asked about my steering wheel, which I also had done with the same dark burl wood grain film. Here are some photos of that.

post-43647-143141868347_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141868317_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143141868345_thumb.jpg

Guest KeithElwell

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. The dark burl would probably have looked better on a black car but I'll stay with the Francis Cream.

• 8 years later...

I am virtually certain that all 36's had Chancellor Gray (never body color) dash. Chancellor Gray is very dark, but obviously not black when compared with a saturated black. It has very fine metallic which can be seen on a decent original dash when cleaned up and buffed. I was able to match the color almost perfectly including the metallic. If anyone is interested I will look for my "ingredients".

I cannot imagine duplicating the original graining without using "Grain It Technology's" printing equipment---patterns, dyes, rollers, etc. Counting all the garnish in the car, I believe there are 17 or 18 pieces including the rear view mirror and the handle on the back of the front seat. So the instrument panel and glove compartment "ain't the half of it". Grain It has great tutorials on line and you can practice and immediately redo dozens of times and still have supplies left over. It wasn't the most fun I've had, but sorta. 

• Like 1