65 stereo

RIVNIK

greetings! I want to install some sound in my 65. I would prefer to leave my original radio in the dash for appearance and bypass it entirely with a unit that is primarily an am/fm tuner (no cd changer) with an iPod connection. I've seen a couple of classic car stereos that are meant to give the look of the original radio but have an awful green digital readout when in use. The only one I've found that looks appealing is the Secretaudio w/ hand held LCD remote.Somewhere along the line I think I heard the sound was not good,but that unit seems to pop up everywhere I search. And then there is the problem of speakers and where to place them in a 1st gen.Riv, a dilemma nobody seems to have found a good solution for. This subject has probably been previously been addressed here before, but does anybody out there have any fresh ideas, or have you actually installed or heard one of these units? And can I replace my in-dash speaker w/o removing the dash pad? it looks like it is attached to the grill which I hope can be accessed by removing the radio or maybe through the courtesy-light switch panel. ( I don't have the car or my shop manual here to look at ) Can you guys help?? Drew

One thought that I had was to put kick panel speakers in the front (no biggy, lots of folks do that) and use the arm rests in the back to house the rear speakers. I have since decided to go a different route (back to stock - with a OE reverberator?) but still think that placement would work. You might need to recover the vertical part of the arm rest with speaker cloth or something similar.

Ed

Guest Gseago

Rivnik I noticed your in Orlando, I'm sure there are a few car audio businesses that caters to classic cars check around with a few shops. You say you've that heard the performance of SecretAudio isn't very good, but do you know if it was connected to an Amp? Most head units now being produced have built in amps but usually just for the smaller speakers if you have multiple speakers or subwoofers you need something to supply the power needed for them to perform. Was the SecretAudio connected to factory or aftermarket speakers? It can get complex when dealing with car audio, there is a school in Daytona that teaches custom mobile audio and electronics( can't think of the name) the may have some suggestions(for a possible student that is).

I was considering a hidden modern system for my 66 until I found Precsion Stereo repair. I just had my original 66 AM/FM Stereo totally refurbed by them (located in New Hartford NY). They performed a sound upgrade for improved base and treble and then added a 5 foot cable I can hide in my console for an ipod or Iphone all for $245. For extra cost he also supplied improved quality 4x10 and 6x9 speakers. Can't install it yet since car is in pieces but I did bench test it the other night and am thrilled with the sound. I stood there playing it for an hour I was so pleased. No it will never compete with modern high power stereo equipment so if thats what you're after this still won't meet your goal. I was willing to compromise somewhat on sound quality in order to use the original equipment.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)