1957 Buick Specifications

SLP5357

Here's something for all 1957 Buick owners. I stumbled upon this a couple days ago and it took a while to remember how I originally came about it. To the best of my recollection, I contacted a gentleman from the Buick Motor Division in Flint, Michigan in 1997. I was trying to find as much info as possible about my 46C. This guy mailed a 27 page document that I will refer to as "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About 1957 Buicks But Were Afraid To Ask" I scanned the pages at 600 dpi and attached a PDF copy for anyone who is interested.

Steve Poulos

1957 Buick Specifications.pdf

Steve: First, I want to thank you for this noble contribution. Second, I suggest you should take this off immediately and protect it from the internet wolves. If not, It will appear on sleazebay within the week if you do not. If you have had this since 1997 it is most likely google copyright proof for the moment. I suggest you take it off and protect each page with a designation mark to denote it is a copy of an original and where this copy can be found for free, Like right here on the AACA forums or tech library. There are wolves out there copying pages off the internet and selling them on the bay. Doing this will keep the dogs at bay.

David - thanks for the heads-up! Being a novice at the forum, I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Is there a way to provide it directly to the tech library and then remove it from my post?

Let me know...

Thanks!

Steve

You can delete your post right now. Then go and look into how to digitally scan your pages with a copy alert bar on each page. The reader can still read the page but will be alerted to the fact that it belongs to a community or the commons. However and whatever the means, the zbay clowns will not be able to copy and sell it since it will have these "watermarks" on each page telling everyone where the free one is located. Now how to accomplish this technically I am at a loss but do know it is being done, just have not ventured into that realm as of yet but I too have some historic rare documentations that I want to do this with and serve as a community service to collectors without feeding the wolves and hacks.

Someone should chime in here with the specifics. Contact one of the moderators for starters to see what they thing or the Web master of this site. Good luck and when you have finished the learning curve you will know and come back and share your new knowledge with the rest of us.

Guest Rob McDonald

DAVID, I'm kind of glad Steve didn't immediately heed your advice or I wouldn't have come across this comprehensive trove of information this morning. Which is what the Internet is all about, isn't it? We all share one great big brain. If someone sees an opportunity to make a few bucks on pretending this spreadsheet is his or hers alone, let them try. Our best defence, assuming we need any defence, is that it's already out there and many of us already have our own free copies. Besides, no one's going to get rich selling arcane information about obscure cars like '57 Buicks. The potential market is tiny and already well-served by generous folks, right here in this wonderful hobby.

DAVID, I'm kind of glad Steve didn't immediately heed your advice or I wouldn't have come across this comprehensive trove of information this morning. Which is what the Internet is all about, isn't it? We all share one great big brain. If someone sees an opportunity to make a few bucks on pretending this spreadsheet is his or hers alone, let them try. Our best defence, assuming we need any defence, is that it's already out there and many of us already have our own free copies. Besides, no one's going to get rich selling arcane information about obscure cars like '57 Buicks. The potential market is tiny and already well-served by generous folks, right here in this wonderful hobby.

Yup. I couldn't see what the problem was or why it would matter to anyone who didn't actually own the intellectual property.............Bob

Not trying to get in a p***ing contest but I really don't see how a person that spends his time scouring a public entity for something of value, then has the ambition and intelligence to honestly harvest and market that thing for profit could be described in your terms. What he is doing is called capitalism which has been, and is, the engine of our economy. He is no different than any other person that makes a profit by selling something for more than it cost him.

For all we know the person you delight in discomfiting is trying to eke out a living to feed his family after being laid off, at age 55, from a well paying job.............Bob

Hi Guys! After further consideration, I realize that there is no real monetary value to this information and anyone on ebay silly enough to pay for it falls into the "fool and his money" category. I think it is more important to leave it readily available to the folks who frequent the forum and I am more than happy to share it with them. David, I appreciate your concerns, but at the risk of someone making a couple bucks, I'd rather it stay perpetually on this post for all enthusiasts to obtain. That being said, this case is hereby closed...

Steve

Steve: Please, I never said not to post it. Nor did I say to limit access to it. Nor to permanently remove it. What I said was to water mark it so everyone will always know from wence it came.

Bob my pal, no P - context here. But if capitalism is a well oiled and good working machine as you say, then why are so many guys just like the one you empathize with out of work at only 55 and Probably with zero benefits or pensions? Google is quietly engaging in digitizing droves of libraries both public and privately held and universities as well. They are now beginning to assert digitized ownership rights to any and all access of that same material. Capitalism at work? If you think about it, just where can all of this eventually lead to?

Enough said. But as for myself, all of my future contributions will be water marked.

• 2 months later...
Guest William Buick

We just purchased a 1957 Buick 2Dr Sedan and was told everything was original. In checking #'s...Paint color on tag is P/P which says it is Shell Beige....but the car is a light green above and dark green below...the confusing thing is the dash matches the light green color and I think the interior vinyl also has a green tint (hard to tell) and door panels with green tint...doesn't make sense that interior would have not match exterior...any change our tag is wrong? Or it had to be repainted at some point...if it was, it was excellent paint job because you can not tell anywhere. Can you tell me the interior colors of the 1957 Buick's? Your thoughts...Jenny (William)

Guest Rob McDonald

JENNY & WILLIAM, here's a link to scans of the '57 Buick Color and Trim manual, which shows all the upholstery options for all series - http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1957-buick-upholstery-trim-colour-options-294246-2.html. Look at post #1 for Buick Specials. It's possible that someone ordered a Shell Beige (soft pink) car with a green interior - they wouldn't be hideous together. However, your inspection indicates that it came 2-tone green from the factory, so the non-matching paint code is a mystery.