Help identify this 37 Buick

miahshodan

I don't have access to the car right now, but this is a picture of a 37 Buick that was in my Grandfather's collection. I can't seem to find what it is. Assume it is a custom coachbuilders work? The suicide front door and regular back seem unique as does

post-92594-143141840322_thumb.jpg

This looks to me like a Brewster-bodied Town Car. If you look at the Buick Club home page (buickclub.org), there is an image of a 1936 version. The windshield treatment of the '36 looks very much the same as the '37 that was in your grandfather's collection.

I am leaning more toward a English or European body. A rear or side shot would be very helpful but the first "clue" is the headlights, the lens/bulb is foreigh. Then there is a foreign license plate behind the Utah plate.

Custom body makers usually have at tag somewhere with their name.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I agree with Barney. Most definatly European and possible Carlton.

A question for the original poster - you stated "was" in the collection. Does this mean the car is not in your posession currently?

John

You guys are clearly correct. I caught the headlamps, but thought that they may have been retrofitted. However, I failed to look closely at the body belt line, which definitely dips toward the rear of the body and is very unlike the Brewster bodies. The treatment of the side windows is also very different from Brewster.

It looks like the car in front is a '32 Buick, and the one in rear possible also Buick. Hope we hear more.

John

Long story short, the picture is about 8 years old. My Grandfather had a large collection of Buicks but started to sell them off before he passed away. His wife sold more and she died recently leaving the 37 to my father, but as it is a ways away from me, I don't have the opportunity to get more pictures or information at this time. he will be going to take a look at it soon, and hopefully get more information. The car in front is a 32 and is for sale here: 1932 Buick 91 Four Door Club Sedan, 5 Passenger, Series 90 for sale | Hemmings Motor News

More information: My father went and looked at it in person and found it is a 131 inch car with a body by Franay. We believe it is a Series 80. The Driver roof is removable and the passenger cabin has seats that fold forward to allow additional rear occupants to sit sideways. There are also some decanters and crystal glasses in the back.

The story (not sure if it was documented) is that the car was hidden during the war ( I think in France) and brought back to the states after the war.

The car in the background is no longer available, there are just these two cars left of the collection.

Guest Rob McDonald
Great reflection of the girl in the drivers window.

It looks like she could be sitting in the driver's seat! Ooo, the Twilight Zone...

Here are some other car bodies by Franay, most famous for their pre-WWII Delahayes and Delages - COACHBUILD.com

post-59990-143141850587_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, this car is unusually beautiful. I'm not generally impressed with European coachbuilders' efforts on American chassis. The Germans always try to make them look like a Mercedes-Benz, most of whose big sedans of the late-30s were butt-ugly, imo. The French tried too often to make them look like Hot Wheels racers, long before the toys were created. This Buick by Franay, however, has a very attractive post-war Bentley look about it. Again, the Parisians got it right, well before their time.

• 3 months later...

And here is the additional detail we have found: 1937 Buick 80 series Roadmaster Towncar

Custom Bodied by Franay of Paris

Serial# 3132459

Engine# 83284714

details:

English style lights

left hand drive

brazilian rosewood? interior

retractable soft roof for driver.

includes decanters and goblets

side facing jump seats pull down from parition in back

mirrors, dome and side lights in the rear

roll down windows between driver and rear compartment.

Timeline:

1937 Chassis and cowl exported to France and custom bodied by Franay

? bought by charles D'espinay of Chateau Doumy ?

1939-1945 Stored in Norway during WWII

1945-1952 driven regularly

1952-1979 stored in Houvier Normandy, Fance

1979 sold to Mr. M.S. (Mike) James in England, from the original owners

daughter, Chantal Morancon?. Mr. James restored the mechanical and exterior,

but left the interior.

1984 Sold to CYS (assumed dealer) either Tripps end Motors of South Hampton

or Coys of Kensington?

1984 Sold to Mr. Tom Crook in Renton Washington and shipped to the

US.

1985 Sold to Dr. Neal Gapoff, Albany California

1986 Sold to Ed Curry, Hanna UT