'37 Dodge External Oil Canister- can it be opened?

fozz71

Hey Fellers, I have a '37 Dodge D-5 motor and apparently this marshmallow canister is an oil filter..it doesn't seem to have a seam to open it- can anyone tell me how to access the filter inside? This is my first '37 so I am fairly new at this motor. Thanks, Jimpost-76327-143141833486_thumb.jpg

Hey Fellers, I have a '37 Dodge D-5 motor and apparently this marshmallow canister is an oil filter..it doesn't seem to have a seam to open it- can anyone tell me how to access the filter inside? This is my first '37 so I am fairly new at this motor. Thanks, Jim[ATTACH=CONFIG]186661[/ATTACH]

That is a sealed filter. No way to open it unless you cut it open. You were supposed to throw away the whole filter and put a new one on every 5000 miles. Every gas station and parts store sold them for a few dollars. Today, no way to get one unless you find an NOS one at a swap meet or from an antique parts vendor.

Next time you go out for a drive, when you get back check the temp with your hand. If it gets hot it is still working. If it is full of dirt and no oil is circulating through it, it will be cold or barely warm.

Best plan is to buy one of the replaceable cartridge filters. They were a slightly more expensive option and millions were used. They are common at flea markets, they look like your filter except they have a bolt on top and a removable filter element. The filter elements are still available from regular parts stores, they are used on tractors, diesel engines and older Mercedes Benz cars.

If you get one from a 1937 - 1959 Dodge or Plymouth flathead six it will fit right on your engine.

Guest fordy

The English Fords had the throw away sealed type that you cant get any more. My solution was to cut one open and fit a modern spin on unit into it so it still maintains an original look , Oil filter modification has how I went about it. Cheers Steve

If you ask for a filter for a '37 Dodge you might get some strange looks and comments, althought the catalogs still date back to the '30's in some applications. It might be easier for you to change over to the replacable filter assy. Some of these may still be available new or available at flea markets or even from someone on this forum. Makes it alot easier to change filters.

post-33734-143141837488_thumb.jpg

That english fellow had a great idea to convert over the existing can but I don't have machining capabilities- so I located a reasonable replacement canister (similiar to one in pic) and will mount a restored later one on the motor. Thanks to all who responded! I sure wish I could find a new sealed canister.

Thanks,

Jim

Those filters come up on ebay. I have about six of them under various manufacturers numbers. They seem to sell for around $55.00 now.

Wix was the last mainstream manufacturer of those filters and they stopped about 10 or 15 years ago. So TinIndian has it right, you'll need to get them through eBay or swap meets.

As owner of a Plymouth related web site, I did receive an email from a company in India which claimed to be manufacturing them and was looking for resellers. I don't know if they are still at it or not. But. . . Roberts Motors lists the filter in their catalog for about what old ones on eBay fetch. I don't know if they have a bunch of old stock or if they are tied into a new manufacturing source.

Finally, there is a fellow advertising in the classified section of the Plymouth Owners Club's magazine who has a housing that looks like the sealed canister but apparently opens up to take a modern filter.

For myself, I'm still working off the stock I have on the shelf.

I snagged one for $55 and have it here now, made very durably and solidly- very well done. I also bought a canister replacement type at the same time, probably won't use it, so if anyone needs a nice complete removable type- let me know. Thanks, Jim

They used to recommend replacing the filter every 5000 miles but given the difficulty of finding a replacement might as well use it until it is full. You can tell if it is full by the temperature, if there is oil circulation it will get hot after a trip, if it is full it will not get hot. With today's paved roads and limited driving a filter should last much longer than they did back in the 30s.