Stickshift!

Guest RaverReatta

Guest RaverReatta

Being that my Reatta project is going to be a "Race Car", I think it would behoove me to not have an Automatic transmission on the track, so I did a little bit of studying to see what kinds of manual transmissions would bolt up to the LN3 (as I decided to keep the LN3, but have a lighter, probably aluminum block built). So I came across the following article: 88 Olds Trofeo Supercharged 5-speed , and saw that a Getrag 282 5-speed, and a 2.8L's flywheel (with some work), would do the job nicely. My skepticism led me to wonder if the combo would last well, and after reading a little bit more, the person who did this project ran on the Beretta tranny for over a year before he swapped in a Series II engine! I like the idea and I think I might go with it (as well as a little modification to the transmission to make it stronger and change around the gear ratios), but if anyone knows any better manual transmissions then I am all ears!

Aside from all of that, I've been working on my brake system and removing some unnecessary engine parts like the A/C system and washer fluid system (Cruise control was missing from the beginning)... I don't like the Teves system... at all...! Has anyone ever swapped a different (preferably stronger and more simple) system into their Reatta? and if so, how?! (Note: mine is a 1990)

In other news, my "dashboard front lip spoiler" broke into several pieces, and was removed during a drift session with my friend. I'm sure some of you who read this are very happy to hear this. :P It was fun while it lasted but next time I will get a real lip spoiler rather than improvising.

~R▲VERRE▲TT▲~

post-86740-143141827012_thumb.jpg

Guest RaverReatta
I see lots of gravel in your photos. Are you doing the drift sessions on gravel roads?

The gravel area is where I park all of my cars at the house, it's off to the side of my driveway, but nope! We've actually asked our city park's permission to use one of their parking lots that doesn't get much use, in which we can set up small courses.

Wasn't there a thread on using a modern F6 six-speed from a G6 or sommat ? I didn't know you could drift a FWD car. In reverse maybe ?

Several people have replaced the Teves with a small diameter convetional power brake.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest RaverReatta
Greg Ross did the transmission and S/C engine conversion many years ago and had bilions and billions (tnx Carl Sagan) of miles on Betsy Blue. I haven't seen any recent posts?

Glad to hear someone else has tested the waters on that one! I feel a little more comfortable with my plans now. I also plan on turbocharging it like yours is. Do you have a thread on that process?

Guest RaverReatta
Wasn't there a thread on using a modern F6 six-speed from a G6 or sommat ? I didn't know you could drift a FWD car. In reverse maybe ?

Several people have replaced the Teves with a small diameter convetional power brake.

Not sure about the F6 trans but that sounds like it would be even more capable of handling the 3.8 and allowing room for heavy modification. I'll give it a look up and see if I can find that.

The drifting though :P it's hard to do "properly" in FWD and some would not call it real drifting because the rear wheels aren't spinning, and because the FWD causes the car to jerk back in the opposite direction quickly, but with great tires on the front, poor ones on the back, and a handbrake (which I plan on adding especially since my e-brake pedal doesn't work), you can "simulate" drifting I guess. I was just barely managing to get the rear to slide out, while my friend did it easily in his Nissan 240SX.

Eventually I might do a RWD swap, but the fake drifting is just for fun.

Edited by RaverReatta (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

the basic "mantra" of the car hobby is to have fun! it sounds like you are having plenty of that.:cool:

good luck with your mods, and remember you're doing this for YOU - not what someone else may think about it! :D

i would think the 5 speed you mentioned would work, with mods - i had one in my '88 Beretta GT many years ago. but "thinking out loud", what about finding a 3.8 SC engine & manual trans from a donor(s)... (might be worth a google search).:)

Guest RaverReatta
the basic "mantra" of the car hobby is to have fun! it sounds like you are having plenty of that.:cool:

good luck with your mods, and remember you're doing this for YOU - not what someone else may think about it! :D

i would think the 5 speed you mentioned would work, with mods - i had one in my '88 Beretta GT many years ago. but "thinking out loud", what about finding a 3.8 SC engine & manual trans from a donor(s)... (might be worth a google search).:)

I appreciate that! :D I certainly am enjoying every minute I spend around the Reatta. It's a cool, fun, easy to work on car, and I love how people are taken off guard when I answer "What kind of car is that?" with "Buick!"

On the transmission note: I just now noticed the Series I L67 3800 SC, and a few of the models it is found in. It looks like the majority if not all of them are Automatic including the Bonneville :| darn! Glad to hear another advocate for the Beretta trans though! They aren't too expensive either. I could pick one up and begin work on it within just a few weeks if I have the chance and the funds.

As far as the G6 transmission, it looks like that goes best with the Series II, I'm not sure whether it would pop right on the LN3 or not.

Only 3800s with manual tranmissions that I know about were n/a and in rwd F-bodies. There was a way to adapt a 2.8 bellhousing/clutch - best look on Pennock's Fiero Forum for current thinking.

Still think the best/cheapest way is to tow a racing Fiero with a stock Reatta. Be lots cheaper and RWD.

Only 3800s with manual tranmissions that I know about were n/a and in rwd F-bodies. There was a way to adapt a 2.8 bellhousing/clutch - best look on Pennock's Fiero Forum for current thinking.

Still think the best/cheapest way is to tow a racing Fiero with a stock Reatta. Be lots cheaper and RWD.

Agree. The Fiero Formula I had was the only car I have owned that would slide the front tires in a fast corner before it would slide the rear tires. I guess the spoiler should have been mounted on the front of the car instead of the rear. :D A section of highway here in Tennessee & NC called "The Dragon's Tail" is a good place to test how well you vehicle corners. That's where I found out the Fiero would slide the front tires when pushed really hard.

Glad to hear someone else has tested the waters on that one! I feel a little more comfortable with my plans now. I also plan on turbocharging it like yours is. Do you have a thread on that process?

Turbochargig can provide more ultimate hp. but it is hard to beat the instant response of the S/C for what you are wanting to do, plus it is fairly well sorted out already. A good modern turbo system has response and hp but they are on more modern engines using variable valve timing and possibly direct injection. I'm sure something could be done for quick spooling but my work has been for moderate boost and seamless operation at reasonable levels to allow the transaxle to live. If not a S/C application, I would suggest a more modern 4-cyl, such as an Ecotec, probably starting with one of the turbo versions and tune it up from there. It would probably get some weight off the front as well.

Guest RaverReatta
Agree. The Fiero Formula I had was the only car I have owned that would slide the front tires in a fast corner before it would slide the rear tires. I guess the spoiler should have been mounted on the front of the car instead of the rear. :D A section of highway here in Tennessee & NC called "The Dragon's Tail" is a good place to test how well you vehicle corners. That's where I found out the Fiero would slide the front tires when pushed really hard.

Mid-engine is definitely not my cup of tea :| like Ronnie says, the front wheels will slide out quicker than the rear since it's so light in the front. Even FWD can throw out the rear wheels every once in a while ;P That dragon's tail place sounds like a perfect place to do a bit of testing though! I might have to vacation and try it out one of these days.

Edited by RaverReatta (see edit history)

Guest RaverReatta
Turbochargig can provide more ultimate hp. but it is hard to beat the instant response of the S/C for what you are wanting to do, plus it is fairly well sorted out already. A good modern turbo system has response and hp but they are on more modern engines using variable valve timing and possibly direct injection. I'm sure something could be done for quick spooling but my work has been for moderate boost and seamless operation at reasonable levels to allow the transaxle to live. If not a S/C application, I would suggest a more modern 4-cyl, such as an Ecotec, probably starting with one of the turbo versions and tune it up from there. It would probably get some weight off the front as well.

Good point, if I do turbocharge it, it will be with one of the HKS or similar brand turbos that are designed specifically for low-end power. However, the S/C skips the lag all together so you're right. It'll give me more of a chance to get the "drift" effect. Not looking to engine swap yet, but if and when I do then it will be something with 4 cylinders and some Japanese writing on it (and RWD)

Mid-engine is definitely not my cup of tea :| like Ronnie says, the front wheels will slide out quicker than the rear since it's so light in the front. Even FWD can throw out the rear wheels every once in a while ;P That dragon's tail place sounds like a perfect place to do a bit of testing though! I might have to vacation and try it out one of these days.
The Dragon's Tail use to be a fun place several years ago. Now-days, thanks to the Tennessee Highway Patrol, it's mostly a tourist trap (See link below). The THP sit around and watch for anyone to exceed the 30 MPH speed limit so they can write a ticket. If they see you touch the center line in a corner you can count on a ticket.

So many people have crashed, some of them killed, on that stretch of road, that the THP watch every move you make. It's still fun to drive if you like curves but with about 300 curves in 11 miles it soon becomes monotonous at 30 MPH. But, if you want to take a chance on a ticket... :D

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

I have enjoyed getting both Fieros and Corvairs out of shape. To go reeally fast in a Fiero you need a zero rear roll stiffness chassis, a fat front antiroll bar, & a roll cage to stiiffen the chassis so weight can be transferred forward. Then use late braking to load the tires before starting the turn. The good news is that a rear-mid engine design has a very low polar moment so it can turn very fast. The bad news is that if you don't pre-load the tires, unladen understeer is inevitable.

Has been long enough I am considering another Fiero for autocrossing.

My Dad had a Corvair that I drove a lot. I never got where I liked it in a corner.

For maximum speed driving through a corner, (not powering through), of the cars that I've owned, my choice would be between a Bugeye Sprite (948cc engine replaced with a 1259cc engine) and an '87 MR2 (1600cc). Steering balance was near perfect and you felt like you were on a rail in a corner. Acceleration? Now that's another story. In my younger days I liked small cars with quick handling. Now I like the ride and handling of my Reatta on mountain roads. All things change with time.

Guest RaverReatta
The Dragon's Tail use to be a fun place several years ago. Now-days, thanks to the Tennessee Highway Patrol, it's mostly a tourist trap (See link below). The THP sit around and watch for anyone to exceed the 30 MPH speed limit so they can write a ticket. If they see you touch the center line in a corner you can count on a ticket.

So many people have crashed, some of them killed, on that stretch of road, that the THP watch every move you make. It's still fun to drive if you like curves but with about 300 curves in 11 miles it soon becomes monotonous at 30 MPH. But, if you want to take a chance on a ticket... :D

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

"Can't have too much of a good thing" lol

That road really does look like a fun drive even at the speed limit though.

Boston Beaney Sprout ? (R&T c.a. 1959). A later Midget was one of the first cars I autocrossed though always liked the FIAT 850R I paid $200 for better. Had a number of Corvairs from a Fitch Sprint with turbo to a Panel Van but my favorite for autocrossing was a Corsa Spyder with trombones and a quadrajet on BlueStreak slicks. Could give Corvettes fits even on long road courses. My favorite was coming into a slalom and grabbing second at the first pylon. This would break the rear end loose and it would just swing like a pendulum. This was my intro into how to remove cocktail shakers.

Getting the bug again so just depends on whether I find a Fiero or Corvair first.

i used to have an under powered fiat x19 that i wish i still had....they all seem to be rust buckets now.
I've not saw one of those for a long time. I always thought they were good looking cars except for the black rubber bumpers on the front and that big black grill behind the back window.

Guest Corvanti

i had two of these (datsun) in the early 70's - a '67 1600 4-spd and a '68 2000 5-spd:

post-73703-143141831095_thumb.jpg

both were quite fun on the track and the street!:)