Stephens Salient Six. A Swedish survivor

Have you heard about Stephens?

Today it´s a forgotten car that was made by The Stephens Motorworks in Freeport, Illinois. The Stephens Motorworks did never use the assembly line and these handbuilt cars became shortlived. The Stephens car was in production from 1916 until the bitter end in 1924.

A couple of years ago I acquired this 1920 Stephens Salient Six model 86.

Today I am replacing the wooden frame work. A skilled carpenter helps me when I have messed it up.

Some souvenir hunters had in the past removed the fork mounted head lights, the doorhandles and some hubcaps.

Right now I am doing my best to find these parts. (Have found the headlights now, but I am still looking for some good hubcaps and door handles).

post-92149-143141883303_thumb.jpg

post-92149-143141883305_thumb.jpg

This Stephens with it´s 6 cylinder 57 hp Moline engine is a real car!

post-92149-143141822761_thumb.jpg

post-92149-143141883298_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claes Rocklin (see edit history)

This Hearse is labeled as a 1925 Stephens

1925+Stephens+Hearse.jpg

Stephens was more likely the body maker. The car looks like a Dodge.

I am fairly sure that this Stephens roadster - 1922 Stephens Salient Six Roadster - now in Europe somewhere - is the one that an aquaintance of mine restored here in New Zealand in the 1970s. It is actually a mix of 1922 and 1924 bits. He acquired enough bits to make it into one of each during a trip to the USA but unfortunately died before the project could be completed.

The Stephens at the picture is probably a 1921 or 1922. The round radiator emblem was replaced with a squerformed emblem around 1922.

The dropped front axle disappeared in 1921 and the car had a straight frontaxle until the bitter end in 1924. I think the front axle at this car still is dropped and this Stephens might be a 1921 or older

According to archives there used to be two Stephens cars here in Finland. In some point of its history one was in Rovaniemi. It was told that during the WWII Germans took the chassis of the car to carry equipment. The remains of body were collected by Esko Rahkonen (living in Lahti, Finland), a Finnish singer whose hobby was veteran cars. Esko collected all veteran car parts he could get hold on. He died few years ago and I am afraid most of the loose auto parts were taken to scrap yard.

I used to write with somebody about 15 years ago who kept a Stephens registry. I have to go through my papers to find contact information. He sent me some photos of different models of Stephens still existing. I guess this registry is not active any more.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Guest prs519

You might try restored classics.com in Australia for the headlights. Mr. Noonan has a great many unidentified headlights.

To Juha Katainen

Hi Neighbour or shall I say Terve! I lived in Helsinki a long time ago. I am grateful for all the information about these Stephens cars. 1924 we had about 40 Stephens cars in Sweden. You could find two of these in Norrbottenin lääni, in the northern part of Sweden. One in Luleå and the other one was trafficking the roads in Överkalix. I am the owner of the latter car.

If you have any information, let me hear from you!

Guest Al Brass
restored here in New Zealand in the 1970s. It is actually a mix of 1922 and 1924 bits. He acquired enough bits to make it into one of each during a trip to the USA but unfortunately died before the project could be completed.

I saw the car you refer to in the mid 70's where it had laid for years in the Bennetts area. I seem to recall it was actually a sedan but I am aware that it was restored as a roadster. On the same property was the remains of a Cleveland tourer which I gathered up and took to the far corner of Cutler Park.

Regards

Al

To prs519

Thanks for the tip. If I am lucky I have alredy found the lights. But there are some other parts missing as doorhandles and some good hubcaps. I have put some ads for these parts in this forum, but I am sure I must put in new ads as the restoration proceeds. Noticed that the threads at the rear hubs was replaced with a pipethread so the original hubcaps don´t fit. Must find good hubs at the rear.

Terve!

I found the letter I got from Stephens enthusiast in Freeport IL. The contact is quite aged so it may not be possible to reach him any more. I also have some color photos of different models which I also got from Mr. Farnsworth. When I find them I shall send them you. I also have copies of sales leaflets. You can have them if you feel you may need them. Let me know your snail address and I post them to you.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

post-31714-143141838285_thumb.jpg

post-31714-143141838287_thumb.jpg

Hello! I have forgotten much of my finnish so I have better use the english language. All information is welcome so you can send over what you think is sufficient to me.

I guess you by snail post mean sending the stuff via the mail man. Thats OK for me, but it might be easier if you scanned the photos and send it all over that way but its up to you.

Thanks to the internet I know four Stephens owners in USA.

My stay in Helsinki was interesting. I liked that town and lived in Puistola. Visited also Esko Vainio who had an old aeroplan. He also had an old Packard that he had bought from the firedepartement. Esko isn´t with us anymore but his cars still remain.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry Lowell . I missed your message of nov 18  2020.  Here comes som information. The restoration proceeds. The entire body is rewooded and  ready for paint. The engine  is restored and ready to install.   Had to order new springs . The  old ones were in bad condition. The  front axla is on place. Needa better piion.

Claes

83886988_3930382773642136_8338364312930222080_o Stephens motor blå.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...