Looking for Instrucitons on how to use a Rim Jack

DCE

I just received my newly purchased rim jack and am looking for the proper steps to remove the tire from the rim and then to reinstall the tire and tube.

One concern is how much can I collapse the rim without damaging it.

Thanks for your comments & instructions.

Dale

If you are just changing a tire, tube or flap you can collapse it as much as you want. For a matter of five minutes it won't hurt it. If you are doing something over a onger period of time you should expand the rim and lock it in place. You have two choices when removing the rim from the tire. You can collapse it so the ends over lap about six inches and you should be able to just lift the rim out. If you collapse is lwss you will probably need to use a couple of tire irons. I myself collapse the rim so that it just clears the latch and then using a large screwdriver of tire iron pry the inside end sideways so that I can pull the rim out sideways (it is like part of a corkscrew). When remounting the tire and tube I screw the rim (without the rim jack) as far into the tire as I can and then snap the one end inside the other, insert the rim jack and expand the rim into place.

The first one will take some time but after having changed nearly ten sets of tires plus flats on my car I can assure you it gets easier. From sitting on the jack I can pull a rim change tire tube and flap and be back on the wheel in about eight minutes. Of course that is using copious amounts of ru-glyde or some slippery liquid. It also helps that my car is a daily driver survivor so I am not trying to avoid chips or scratches.

Just take you time. As long as you dont leave the rim collapsed for hours you will have no trouble at all. To be really safe you should remove the rim jack from the rim anyway as soon as you have the tire off. The rim and rim jack can decide to separate all by themselves and can bite you when you are least expecting it or they can bounce away and chip or scratch paint.

Thanks Tinindian for the information. I've only done mine once and only split the rims a small amount for fear of kinking the rim. I had been told that it can happen and certainly didn't want to have to replace rims. Job was a bear but after I got a couple done I did get better. Next time I might try and make the job a little easier on myself.

Howard Thanks for sharing. Seems the tool and process is somewhat self explanatory but nice to see the instructions.

One thing I learned during the process was once the new tires are mounted before inflating touch up the paint. It's a lot easier touching them up before inflating then after. Good luck.

Thanks Tinindian for the information. I've only done mine once and only split the rims a small amount for fear of kinking the rim. I had been told that it can happen and certainly didn't want to have to replace rims. Job was a bear but after I got a couple done I did get better. Next time I might try and make the job a little easier on myself.

Howard Thanks for sharing. Seems the tool and process is somewhat self explanatory but nice to see the instructions.

One thing I learned during the process was once the new tires are mounted before inflating touch up the paint. It's a lot easier touching them up before inflating then after. Good luck.[/quote

Be sure to have liner installed on rim to avoid pinching the tube. I found using liquid dish soap was a good lubricant. Also you should place talc powder in the rim around the tube and liner.