Problem with error code E034

Guest jpmorgan

Guest jpmorgan

Got the E034 code. Replace the mass air sensor, no change. Replaced the pvc valve, o2 sensor and still can't clear the code. Car stutters from idle to get rolling. For the most part it runs ok from that point. Still has intermittent stutter at cruising speed.

I checked the connector on mass air and it seems to be ok. Checked the voltage range for TPS and it seems to be within manual ranges.

Can anybody add an idea of what else could be caucing the error code?

Thanks Everyone

I'm looking at the service manual for an '89 model. The service manual has a troubleshooting flow chart (8D1-47) to help you determine if the MAF sensor or wiring it at fault. It appears the other possibility would be a bad ECM.

It's best to add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help answer your questions without repeatedly asking you about the specific model you own.

Click "Settings" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

Guest jpmorgan
Got the E034 code. Replace the mass air sensor, no change. Replaced the pvc valve, o2 sensor and still can't clear the code. Car stutters from idle to get rolling. For the most part it runs ok from that point. Still has intermittent stutter at cruising speed.

I checked the connector on mass air and it seems to be ok. Checked the voltage range for TPS and it seems to be within manual ranges.

Can anybody add an idea of what else could be caucing the error code?

Thanks Everyone[Year 1989]

Sorry, it's a 89

034 is no MAF reading for over 250 ms. This means either the MAF does not work at all or you have a wiring problem. FSM gives a list of things to check and how. Throwing parts at it is unlikely to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched a video on the ReattaOwner site and according to that video it said that the MAF cannot be serviced separately, it must be serviced with the throttle body because it is calibrated to that throttle body. If the MAF is bad it looks like you have to replace that part and the throttle body together - is this correct? Or the MAF would have to be calibrated to the throttle body - is this correct? And if so, how is that done? I am enquiring regarding '89 Reatta.

The sensor itself, which inserts into the housing, is all that needs to be replaced. Many of us have extra sensors, just for such an occasion. The sensor is not calibrated to the throttle body. It only cares about the flow through the sub-passage where the sensor is located. I have used them with an enlarged throttle body without issue.

Guest crazytrain2

I think the MAF sensor part number (w/o the entire throttle body) is AFH50M-02A. It is molded into the sensor for verification. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think you can buy at FLAPS though but listed on Ebay occasionally or some of the guys here (Jim) likely have them for sale.