Unknown White Tool

Guest Iowa Gary

Guest Iowa Gary

Can anyone identify this tool or clamping bracket? It has a "White" logo. Maybe the truck or old steam car? Any ideas?

post-91984-143141799694_thumb.jpg

post-91984-143141799695_thumb.jpg

post-91984-143141799696_thumb.jpg

I spent many years in the sewing machine business and I can say that I have never seen this item before. I don't think that it is related to their sewing machine line, but I suppose I could be wrong. I don't recall they're having an industrial sewing machine division, either. Pete, early White trucks did have a script, but at some point they used the same, or very close, block script letters for the sewing, tractor and truck lines. For many years a branch of the company made appliances. You guys probably remember the White - Westinghouse brand. I'll bet if we knew what this item (tool, perhaps?) was used for we could figure out it's source. White Industries still survives here in the U S, but it seems that they only manufacture bicycles or bicycle components and components for metal buildings. Keiser, isn't there a vintage tool collectors I D site, somewhere? It seems like I recall one, but I might be just making that up.

white_b7.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

white-fair-lady.jpg

My guess is it's some sort of leather worker's or shoemaker's clamping device. The pointed end appears suited for insertion into a base so it remains in an upright position.

Now that I endorse! I puzzled over that end of the devise, wondering if some some handle of sorts had slipped off and gone missing. Your thoughts about it slipping into a fixture so that it's held in place while material is manipulated or worked in the clamp end is enough to satisfy my curiosity. Keen insight on your part, Restorer32.