1949 Buick motor and transmission weight

superG

I should think it would be all of that and a bag of crisps. My guess, 700 - 800 lbs for the motor, depending if it has the generator, starter, air filter, carburetor, and oil filter on it. Manual transmission, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, 200 - 250 lbs. Dynaflow, about 300 libs.

Be interesting to see how close we came.

First born I believe you are right, for a bare engine, rebuild engine or "long block" without accessories. A complete engine as removed from a car, with generator, starter, manifolds, carburetor etc would be somewhat heavier.

Likewise, 75 pounds for the manual trans would be about right. But the flywheel on those engines was no featherweight, the bellhousing was iron, the clutch heavy, even the throwout bearing made for years of hard wear.

The difference between a bare engine, and a complete engine and transmission assembly as removed from a car could be quite substantial.

A crate big enough and strong enough to hold such a power plant, made of green hardwood as such crates usually are, would also be no light weight.

It would be easier to estimate with more facts to go on. Of course, the definite answer could best be arrived at by weighing the crated engine assembly.

Guest 37Packard

The flathead straight 8 and 3 speed manual transmission on my Packard weighs 750 pounds so I would think yours is in that ballpark....

Guest 47woodie

About six weeks ago I Had a '47 Super engine and transmission shipped to So Ca from Kansas. The engine was complete including carb, starter, generator, etc. The complete weight including the wooden pallet was 850 lbs. These things are heavy!