exterior cleaning on alloy wheels and chrome

Guest bubbles10

Guest bubbles10

Hey everyone,

What does everyone use to polish their alloy wheels. Most of the products out there say do not use on coated metals. Also what does everyone use to polish all the chrome molding on the doors, in the wheel lip moldings, bumpers etc.. Someone recommended that i start by using steel wool to bring all the chrome back to life. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

first off, the trim on the doors and everything is stainless, not chrome, use stainless steel cleaner and nothing abrasive. the wheels are fondmetal, are not particularly easy to clean, i pressure washed mine and used a tooth brush and detergent, i tried a bunch of different metal polishes and found nothing worked that well and if it did it was a pain to get off as it got in all the holes and wasnt easy to remove.

Guest bubbles10

thanks for input.. folks are telling me to use the steel wool to clean the stainless steel trim and bumpers. Gonna try that. Hey jack it says your located in Oregon... so am I. Thanx again guys

Guest My TC Toy

Bubbles

I wouldn't recommend any grade steel wool on the SS trim. You're going to end up scratching it. There is no such thing as soft steel wool, it's steel thread. Use a good quality cleaner and nylon pad. The stainless should release any contaminates. Then follow up with a good SS polish for protection.

Afar as the wheels are concerned, most likely the finish is simply word out over the past 20+ years. Any good cleaner and soft round tapered brush will clean them. If they are still not good enough, the possible only solution is to have them refinished. Age does take its toll!

Good luck.

Bob

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Don't use steal wool on stainless it will infuse it self in the stainless and in a short time will make small rust spots. I work on stainless sinks and drinking fountains and see this frequently to remedy this I use very fine rubbing compound or buffing compound, this will remove the fine steal residue.

Al

Bubbles, I am down in Newberg, I make the trip several times during the summer to PIR 'Beaches Cruise' on Wednesday afternoons. They get over a thousand cars every wednesday and you can watch the drags for free. The best part it that it only costs five bucks for car and two peeps. Live music, good food, drags and lots of eye candy. They even give out a few trophys. It is sponsored by Beaches resturaunt (Vanc. I think) They have raised huge amounts for charity over the years. I will keep my eye out for a TC as I dont believe I have seen one there. I have several cars and dont think I have driven my TC up there yet. Its more of a street rod deal but all collectables are welcome.

If you are a car guy and in the area I recomend this to all. They pull cars from Olympia to Eugene.

Guest My TC Toy

Only goes to show how much more durable chrome is over painted and clear coated. I wish I had a chrome shop near me, I would do the same thing. I bet they look great chromed, there is a lot of detail in the wheels that should stand out beautifully.