Front bumper

Guest caprice350

OK Riviera People: I have taken apart and put back together my share of First-Gen Riviera front clips and I will say that if you are going to do any work on these cars changing parts that you best believe the 63 the 64 and the 65 are almost identical in appearance and DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THAT! Almost every component is different from the 63 and 64 to the 65.

The hood and spear molding is the only difference I've found between the 63 and 64 front clip (aside from specific colors). The mechanicals on the inner fenders are quite different but the sheet metal is identical.

Mitch

O contrair. The '65 front fenders are different than the '63/64's. There is very little sheet medal below the crease on a '65 compared to what's on a '63/64. The front bumpers on the '65 are dished at the top to allow the clam shell to retract.

post-50017-143141734333_thumb.jpg

63 hood spears are different in that they have a rib running down the center and the hole for the emblem is different and is set at a different angle than the '64/'65's (which are the same.)

post-50017-143141734329_thumb.jpg

OK Ed: To the person who is DIALED IN to these parts, certainly there is a difference......and if the parts are examined side by side there is a difference. I personally have scratched my head many times trying to put a 64 lower valence on a 65. Again, these parts look almost identical and unless you REALLY know the difference you are going to get in trouble every time.

For example, I purchased a 65 fender at a swap meet. I go to put it on a 63 and it ain't fittin. At the time I was not dialed in and had nothing to compare it to. Many people working on these cars assume that because they look almost identical they are and they get derailed. Mitch

One of the biggest warnings I try to give to people looking for parts is DO NOT TRUST the guy on eBay who advertises his part to fit 63/64/65 Rivieras, thinking that everything is the same. Even the "horse shoe" scallops on the sides are dfferent from 63 and 64.

A couple of years ago, I was helping the guys at Highway 61 when they were thinking about producing a '63 diecast model of the Riviera. They had done a '64 (based on Ed Pentico's car) and thought that making a '63 wouldn't be too much of a change. By the time I got through sending pictures of all the obvious differences to them, I think they gave up on the idea. The '63 diecast never went into production.

Ed

• 4 months later...

Here's another question about 65 Riv front fenders. On my 65, on the inside edge at either end of the bumper is a metal plate with a round hole. There appears to be a matching hole in the fender opposite the inside edge of the fender. It almost looks like there should be a round bar of some kind that fits between the bumper and the fender. Thoughts, comments, anything appreciated. Am I missing something in my front clip.

Here's another question about 65 Riv front fenders. On my 65, on the inside edge at either end of the bumper is a metal plate with a round hole. There appears to be a matching hole in the fender opposite the inside edge of the fender. It almost looks like there should be a round bar of some kind that fits between the bumper and the fender. Thoughts, comments, anything appreciated. Am I missing something in my front clip.

Big rubber donut goes between the fender and the bumper.

Also, the headlight openings are different. I can't remember but I think the 65 has a smaller opening.

"65 fenders are totally different in the headlight / grill area. I posted pictures comparing the two fenders in a previous thread.

The rubber bumper insulators are available through CARS, their part# B1635-4 ($18.00/pair). I attached a diagram showing the front bumper assembly. In addition to the rubber insulators, there is also a metal spacer, rubber washer and bolt that go inside the fender to connect both bumper ends to the inner fender brackets. There was a set of these metal spacers/rubber washers on EBAY recently, you should be able to come up with necessary pieces from a Riviera parts supplier without too much difficulty.

Bumper Assembly.pdf.pdf