63 riv passenger side rear view mirror

Guest Steeleco

As noted, the driver side mirror will mount on the passenger side. It is my understanding that only the '63 mirror housing will rotate around for proper mounting on the passenger door. So anyone thinkig about doing this on a 64 or '65 Riv need to make sure they have a mirror that will work before drilling holes.

It is not easy finding a good spot on the door to mount the mirror. The vent window needs to clear the mirror when it opens. Mounting it far forward (to match the drivers door mirror) makes it hard to see the mirror (you have to look through the vent window).

You will find that the flat mirror glass is pretty useless on that side. Look for a large round stick-on bubble mirror that will fit inside the housing and stick it to the original mirror glass. If you get one large enough, it does not look like a second mirror stuck on the first; it looks like the bubble mirror belongs in there.

I studied this quite a bit for my '63 and decided not to do it. I do miss having a mirror over there, though. I find it incredible that the drivers side mirror was actually an option in '63, not standard equipment. The things we take for granted today.

If you want a mirror just for driving, not for show because there was no passenger side mirror available in '63, you might consider a 'Peep' mirror like the ones the street rodders. Here's a link to Goolge Images which show some applications. If you see something you like, click on the picture for the link from which the picture was picked. One application show the peep mirror attached to the vent window glass. Attach your convex mirror to the peep mirror, drive with confidence, then remove it when it's time to show off your car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=peep+mirrors&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS307&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PX0FUYHEF8zvqAGppYCIDg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1017&bih=477

Jim, I think a non-adjustable mirror came standard on all Rivieras, the remote mirror was the option. ????? In one of my brochures it shows the rear view mirror as an option, but it's the flat mirror that's not adjustable for both sides. The brochure does list the remote mirror as a dealer installed option and states that it is applicable for both the driver's and passenger's sides. If the mirror was an option, there would be a code on the Fisher data plate for the drilling of the holes in the doors.

Ed

Jim, I think a non-adjustable mirror came standard on all Rivieras, the remote mirror was the option. ????? In one of my brochures it shows the rear view mirror as an option, but it's the flat mirror that's not adjustable for both sides. The brochure does list the remote mirror as a dealer installed option and states that it is applicable for both the driver's and passenger's sides. If the mirror was an option, there would be a code on the Fisher data plate for the drilling of the holes in the doors.

Ed

I only know about '63 for sure. In '63, if you did not get the remote outside mirror (and 80% of the new Rivs did), you did not get a driver's side view mirror on the car from the factory. This was the 2nd most popular factory option in '63. Only the White Sidewall tire option was more popular (97%). The dealer could add a manual side mirror if you did not get the remote mirror, but that was not how it left the factory.

You are correct, in '63 there was a Fisher Body code for the remote side mirror option: S7. It was also included in S8 (meaning S6, Protection Group, and S7). The S code is often lumped with "U" if the numbers are the same (that is, a car with S8 and U8 will have a data plate code of SU8).

Ford made the Riviera side view mirror option a sales point for their people for the '63 Thunderbird. Ford included a side view mirror on the T-bird as standard equipment, not extra cost like the Riviera.

I guess you learn something new everyday. In my years of playing with these cars, I've never seen a single car that did not have a rear view mirror on the driver's door. Interesting.

The only non-adjustable rear view mirror offered in the options brochure I have is for the flat mirror, not one that can be reversed. So my question is "Do reversible non-adjustable mirrors exist?"

Perhaps this is why there is such a discrepancy in the placement of so many mirrors on the 63's. Makes you also wonder if the dealerships didn't install a mirror on every car that came into them and charge the customer for it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The "flat" mirror, which is manually adjustable, can be used on both driver and pass side. One of my `65`s, which is a very well equipped and original car, was ordered with manual mirror on the driver`s side, and a manual mirror (dealer installed?) on the pass side also.

Tom Mooney

Tom,

If you go to www.teambuick.com , click on the reference tab, then click on the year '63, you'll get a complete page on 63 Buicks. On that page there's a link to Options and Codes for Regualr MOdels and another for the Specials. Open that link and you'll see a rather complex listing of options for all large model Buicks. It's more than just something someone has slapped together on the internet.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)