stock vs 21st century??

rocky5517

Time for a tune-up on 67 430. Cars Inc sells a tuneup kit, but they also offer upgraded sparkplug wires. So here's my question; what could the difference be, and is it a good idea to use newer technology, like, say, hotter ignition parts?I understand its good to keep her stock (she is) but at what point do we consider modern upgrades?

The standard tune up kit CARS sells should be fine. You may save a few dollars by going to RockAuto.com as long as all parts are shipped from one location but unless theres a big price difference I like to support CARS by giving them my business.

If I were going to invest in a higher grade plug wire I'd get the exact original date coded wires from Lectric Limited though they are pricey and not needed for the average car. While you are paying mostly for the date coding and exact length duplication, they do seem to be very high quality wires nonetheless.

Guest wildcat465
pesky chatter Im hearing on the radio?

Most likely caused by the ignition condenser leaking voltage.

Replace along with point set, get them separate. I avoid the "uni-sets" which is the points and condenser on same bracket. These cars ran well when new with frankly cheap components installed. On ignition systems, replace and properly adjust all components for proper performance. Unless you are racing, no upgrades are necessary.

Confirm that the points are Echlin brand. They are available at NAPA auto parts stores. If that is what CARS sells you should be fine. Standard and other over the counter brands pale in comparison. Here are some pictures I took after I did a nine year tune-up on a perfectly fine running car just because it had been so long:

post-46237-14313933925_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143139339256_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143139339256_thumb.jpg

The reason I had to redo the job was because one week after the tune-up the car came home on a flat bed. The wire came out of the new condenser. Note: don't change the condenser if the points are not arched or pitted. The nine year old one is back in the car, ten years old now.

Notice the stamped in "wiggly" point post. Also check out the stamped steel adjusting "nut"- cheap, inaccurate, and hard the turn in fine increments. The point contacts were better made on the Echlin ones, as well.

As I remember, they had to order the Echilin points at NAPA and they cost something like $28.00. I have picked up a few sets of genuine early Delco since.

I run solid core wires I made for my older cars. Just install a resistance wire on the coil only to absorb the noise.

Bernie

Hey Bernie! I cant tell from the pics which are the good points or the bad ones. I did'nt realize there was a big difference in the quality and price of points. I just purchased a set from Advance Auto made by BWD for $6.50.(about what I've paid for several sets over the decades) They appear almost identical to the pictured set with the copper colored and plastic arm. The adjusting nut doesn't appear to be cheap or "stamped", and the post is attached to the frame by a brass colored hex key nut on the back side.One difference I think I see is that the contact attached to the arm is slightly smaller in diameter than the one attached to the frame. Is this set inferior? Should I ditch them in favor of the $28. set? Not sure how to proceed. Anyone else have anything on the subject? Seems like for every experienced guy who espouses the expensive fix, there's another one says the over-the-counter job is fine. What to do thanks, Drew

I just came in from the garage. I will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get some comparative stuff together. The reason I had the pictures was to put an article together for Phil. I have an article on fixing Rolls-Royce rear ends on hold, too. I need to quit working.

By experienced do you mean someone with a lot of years watching the deterioration of products and services or the experience of standing by the road waiting for a flatbed to haul the car you just tuned up home because the new part failed?

A side thought, when I was a kid Borg/Warner parts had the name of the founding families written right out on the box. Now its BWD, huh? If Grandma Borg or Warner was anything like my Grandma O'Brien she would have made the boys take the family name off the box as soon as she found out they took long boat rides across the Pacific.

Bernie- update tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick reply.....it appears that Borg/Warner is still Borg/Warner, & BWD is a manufacturer of ignition parts, on-board computers, wires, cables, etc. for NASCAR & for aftermarket. After looking at myriad points sets on ebay, all recommended for the '65 Riv, you can definitely see differences in quality and sophistication or complexity, and these BWDs look pretty cheap compared to some of the expensive ones. I realize that ebay is not the place to seek information, but you can at least compare many different products visually. whether or not you can determine which one is the best or most correct by sight & price is beyond me! What I would like to find is as close to original as possible. I would think that would be A/C Delco, wouldn't it? Are they still available? I know they no longer produce the exact spark plugs for my Riv. Thanks for shedding some light on this mystery for me Drew Rivnik p.s. I should post this on the recent interior lighting problem thread,but while I have you here......I have the usual dim dash lights problem....someone recommended changing to brighter bulbs......I somehow inherited a bag of Riv instrument panel bulbs....some are grey and some black....is one type brighter?