Any chance of finding a heat riser for my '64, or go without?

46Chris

We've been tracking down a right-side exhaust noise that goes away for the most part when the engine warms up. Decided to remove the heat riser, as the weight was long gone and wanted to check the flapper valve. It had been removed. The forums and other sources seem to indicate that finding a working replacement is difficult, and I see on V8Buick.com that a fellow used to sell heat riser deletes, so I imagine it won't hurt to go without it. Only thing is that I do like to drive when it's cold out, as long as the roads are clear.

Regarding the exhaust noise, I did notice that the gasket was deteriorated, so I'm hoping that replacing it may help. We didn't confirm whether there were any leaks around the riser before removing it, but I did read a post where a new gasket solved a similar problem.

Any thoughts on going without a heat riser and still driving when it's cold out?

As always, thanks for the help with my new Riviera.

Best, Chris

Chris, I removed the internal flapper on a "65 Skylark heat riser I had years ago and then had a welder place some welding rod in the holes and seal them shut. The choke didn't work anyway and the car would run fine after it warmed up. Those were pretty hard to find in working condition too. You need to find someone who can weld cast iron. It wasn't pretty but it worked OK in our somewhat mild NW climate.

I would not have a car which I intended to operate in cold (Wisconsin) weather without a heat riser. Aside from the obvious driveability issues it is very important to bring the engine up to operating temps as soon as possible to minimize wear and prevent oil dilution. Bend over backwards to install a functioning heat riser, the difference in your enjoyment of the car in cold weather will be like night and day.

Tom Mooney

There are two styles of right side exhaust manifolds that were used on these cars. One style had a intergal heat riser, and the other style had a bolt on heat riser. The bolt on style is the one the 'delete' item was made for. You can do the same thing by cutting off the manifold end of your exhaust pipe and welding in a section long enough to replace the riser piece. There's an exhaust donut that can be placed in the end of the manifold then the original pipe can be bolted directly to the manifold. As far as I know there were no gaskets in that system, just the ball and cone joints.

If this truly of more interest to you, I can find a part number for the donut for you.

Ed

Maybe it was just a coincidence but the heat riser was stuck open on the '63 Riviera I had. I thought nothing of it until I took the carburetor off and found the heat passage in the intake manifold under the carburetor completely clogged with carbon.

There are two styles of right side exhaust manifolds that were used on these cars. One style had a intergal heat riser, and the other style had a bolt on heat riser. The bolt on style is the one the 'delete' item was made for. You can do the same thing by cutting off the manifold end of your exhaust pipe and welding in a section long enough to replace the riser piece. There's an exhaust donut that can be placed in the end of the manifold then the original pipe can be bolted directly to the manifold. As far as I know there were no gaskets in that system, just the ball and cone joints.

If this truly of more interest to you, I can find a part number for the donut for you.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I have the bolt-on style. For now we're just replacing one bad stud and buttoning it back up with a new gasket. If you happen to know the correct gasket number, that would be a big help. The number for the bolt-on style heat riser too. I found these guys online, Heat Riser Valves and have wondered if one from another year/make/model would work. I saw an ad on V8Buick.com for a manifold with working heat riser for $100. I realize that's for a used one, probably not the best choice. I'm heeding Tom Mooney's advice to bend over backward to find one, but just starting out with the search. That's one of the great things about being part of a forum and community like this - I'm getting great help, and I really appreciate it.

Best, Chris

You might be able salvage the old one. Try this first. Get a gallon of Evapo-Rust (I found it at the local Harbor Freight store) and soak your heat riser in it for a couple of days - or however long it takes to eat away all of the rust and corrosion. This stuff works great and it's biodegradable - just pour it down the sink. If you have a broken spring, you might be able to find a replacement for it.

I don't have access to any part numbers, sorry. Perhaps someone else on the board might.

If you're friends with a counter guy at your local parts jobber, take you part in and ask him if you can peruse the exhaust gaskets until you find one that fits. That's how I found the correct donut for my car. It was listed for a Chevy truck of some kind, but it was exactly what I needed. If you can't find one that way, go to a muffler shop and see what they can come up with for you.

Ed

Thanks, Ed - I'm on it. Unfortunately there's nothing left to salvage of the old riser - just the collar remains. No flapper, counterweight or spring. My mechanic has offered to bring the collar along when he visits his favorite parts guy, seeing if they can come up with something that can be adapted. I'll be sure to share the results with the group.

Best, Chris

Used, relatively complete heat risers pop up on Ebay frequently, often with the manifold. They are usually very reasonable in price. But best if you can match something up. I always thought an `80`s heat riser valve controlled by a TVS would be a simple way to go and better than the old spring controlled `60`s setup. Good luck and please let us know if you find a replacement.

Tom Mooney