My 1931 Model 67

JoelsBuicks

It’s worth repeating here what I told my 17 yo boy about my method of doing this vinyl roof installation. I told him that this is not the best way, it’s only ‘a way’ .  Fast forward just a second; it worked and afterwards I had no suggestions for method improvements.   

I started by building a wooden frame onto which I stretched and stapled the vinyl. I stretched the vinyl by hand.  The backing material is non-oriented strand and so this stuff will stretch in all directions.  But, it doesn’t stretch much at all.  

We carried the framed vinyl and placed it over the roof.  I’ll continue this thought into another post.

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_6097.jpeg

• Like 1

I knew that once the vinyl was covering the roof, it would be impossible to position those strips.  So, I had pre-drilled several holes along the strip that went all the way through the underlying wood.  Then I used these “stabbers” to insert from underneath and protrude through the top.  Then I just placed the strip over these stabbers which effectively positioned the strip.  The strip was screwed down about every 1-1/2”.  Perhaps a picture or two will help.

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6100.jpeg

IMG_6101.jpeg

IMG_6103.jpeg

• Like 7

I finished this by cutting away the wood  frame, installing the radiused corners and then trimming the vinyl just outside the trim.  I will use an epoxy caulk sealant on both sides of the trim and then will fold down that aluminum trim flap.  

This all went a little easier than I thought it would.  Of course it’s not completely done until that trim is painted black, along with the surrounding roof metal. 

Hopefully, I’ll have more to share soon.

Thanks,

Joel

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6107.jpeg

IMG_6108.jpeg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

I will use an epoxy caulk sealant on both sides of the trim and then will fold down that aluminum trim flap.  

I was going to ask how you were planning to seal the gap and screw holes under the molding.  The result looks great!  How was this done originally?  Was there a leather/fabric/non-metal tack strip in place of the aluminum strip?

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I was going to ask how you were planning to seal the gap and screw holes under the molding.  The result looks great!  How was this done originally?  Was there a leather/fabric/non-metal tack strip in place of the aluminum strip?

I don’t know the answer to your question although I did attempt some research a while back.  Between the book and what was left of my car, along with looking at a few other cars at Nationals, I do know that aluminum strips were used and they were also made with the flap that folded down on top of what I think were nails, not screws.  In fact, I have what I believe to be original trim with that flap torn off; they even came with that radiused corner.  That’s about all I know for certain.  I believe that there was some cotton batting underlying the top material, which we all know wasn’t vinyl but some type of oil cloth.

It could have been that the top material would go under that fold down flap and be nailed but I saw no evidence of that.  Again, long story short, I just don’t know.  My goal was to get as close to the original look as possible but include integrity upgrades like stainless screws and good sealing.

IMG_6109.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a huge soft spot for 1931 Buicks and elsewhere documented what I did to make the 31 8-66S Special Coupe "kit" I bought into a complete running car.  My project pales in comparison to your 8-67, my engine chassis and driveline right down to the wood spokes on the artillery wheels was done, body, fenders, running board aprons, gas tank and radiator shields had been painted and the body was set back on the chassis before I bought it.  I had to weed out a lot of incorrect stuff, replace seat frames, golf door wood and all the finishing stuff, but what you have been through is amazing.  You took your car apart into it's tiny pieces and did a spectacular job of bring a long forgotten rusty hulk back to life.  Great job Joel...

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, Str8-8-Dave said:

So I have a huge soft spot for 1931 Buicks and elsewhere documented what I did to make the 31 8-66S Special Coupe "kit" I bought into a complete running car.  My project pales in comparison to your 8-67, my engine chassis and driveline right down to the wood spokes on the artillery wheels was done, body, fenders, running board aprons, gas tank and radiator shields had been painted and the body was set back on the chassis before I bought it.  I had to weed out a lot of incorrect stuff, replace seat frames, golf door wood and all the finishing stuff, but what you have been through is amazing.  You took your car apart into it's tiny pieces and did a spectacular job of bring a long forgotten rusty hulk back to life.  Great job Joel...

Dave

Dave, thanks for those kind words.  I’ve followed your work and have found your work as enviable and true to originality which has been and will continue to be very useful for my project.  I hope that my work and its documentation herein will assist others.

Thanks again,

Joel

• Like 1

It seems to be that posting regularly is too challenging for me.  There’s progress to post and so once again I’ll play catch-up.  

When I finished installing the cobra long grain material I paused briefly to self-critique the whole process and to report that here for whatever posterity this offers.  In a most unusual instance, it turns out that in retrospect I would do this again exactly the way I did it.  Maybe I didn’t learn anything but on the other hand, it all worked out.

To finish out the top of the car, I folded over the aluminum trim flap to cover the stainless screw heads that hold the trim down.  Then, for the corner pieces that had screw heads exposed, I filled those in and sanded smooth.

Painting the black surround on the top was the last step.  No matter how small it is, getting that final coat on something always makes for a good day.  

70596005523__1254A523-687A-4C99-B809-9916A392221E.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

• Like 3

A little brute force proved useful in putting the body on the frame.  There will be more moments like this but to me, this changed the look of this project and in an encouraging way.  

im well into the process of getting the right mounting pads in place.  Tightening down this body involves getting doors to fit properly. It’s all in the manual!  

70656320765__6A865415-38BD-426D-B6DE-4389484A8CEB.jpeg

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg

• Like 7

Now, I need some help for a couple items.  First, the dash is, in part, bolted to the body with two bolts on each side as shown in the pic.  I do not know what these four bolts look like.  It seems to me that they might be decorative.  I’d like an original look so I welcome input on that.

IMG_6184.jpeg

Second, I need a source for the fire wall pad/pressed paper.  It’s almost like an asphalt cardboard?  I don’t know what it’s called.  It’s about 1/8” thick and I think I have seen it used in trunks and seatbacks?  

I’ll try to get a pic.  Ok, got the pic.  And I have seen these available from Bobs but I like punishment.  I would really like to hear from someone who purchased one.  There are some details on this that I can’t discern when looking at the sales pic of a new one. 

Thanks,

Joel

image.jpg

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

That car looks spectacular!  Great job on the soft top.  Paint flawless. Engine looks great.

Dave...

Thank you.  I’ve told this story before but it might be worth repeating.  My Dad, who turned 89 last month, saw a picture in a past Bugle of a ‘31 that had an engine painted this green apple color.  I believe the article said that it was some special one-off thing from the factory.  But, we both liked it and wanted it for this car so that’s what we did.

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Now, I need some help for a couple items.  First, the dash is, in part, bolted to the body with two bolts on each side as shown in the pic.  I do not know what these four bolts look like.  It seems to me that they might be decorative.  I’d like an original look so I welcome input on that.

IMG_6184.jpeg

Second, I need a source for the fire wall pad/pressed paper.  It’s almost like an asphalt cardboard?  I don’t know what it’s called.  It’s about 1/8” thick and I think I have seen it used in trunks and seatbacks?  

I’ll try to get a pic.

Thanks,

Joel

I think Bob's sells the firewall pads.

• Thanks 1