1979 Riviera S-Type Taillight Question

Guest Electramanrob

Guest Electramanrob
post-31027-143139309661_thumb.jpgI recently purchased a 79 Riviera S-Type that is all original. It has the standard 79 Riviera taillights. In researching the car, I came across some photos of other 79 S-Types with bizarre, different style taillamps (see attcahed examples). Does anyone know if these "European"-style lamps were actual factory offerings or some wierd aftermarket itme? The factory brochures/literature all show the normal, standard 79 Riv taillihghts on the S-Type. Thanks!

post-31027-143139309657_thumb.jpg

This is an export taillight arrangement and it was a factory option. A few years ago I researched an RPO mentioned in The Riview that the author could not find a description for but I did find a parts breakdown. The breakdown included taillight/stoplight sockets that were different than the standard sockets and different taillight lenses so I concluded the RPO option was to add amber rear turn signals to exported cars. These pics confirm my conclusion. If I recall correctly the question regarding the RPO was raised in an article by Darwin Falk describing options on the `79 model. Not very attractive, are they?

Tom Mooney

Guest Electramanrob

Very interesting - does this mean there might be photos of this in a Canadian Buick brochure? Anyone ever seen one? Would there be any other differences on export Rivieras? Any figures on how many were exported? What does RPO stand for? THANKS for the info!

RPO = Regular Production Options. In general, they are the code values that describe particular parts/paint/mechanics that were to be applied to a car at the start/during its "build" cycle..... whether it was to have bucket seats, air conditioning, power brakes, blue metallic paint, turbo vs naturally aspirated V6, etc, etc, etc...(as examples).

Edited by DShip
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest M85RIV

I have an 85 that has the canadian package and it does not have the amber lights. It was originally delivered to Toronto per the build sheet, but was immediately taken to Columbus OH, where the inital owners bought it. The only differences between the US and the canadian that I can tell is that the climate control is in celcius, the speedometer 55 isn't gold, the speedometer has a 0 on it and the unleaded fuel only sticker near the fuel filler is also in french. It doesn't have daytime running lights, unless the original owners disconnected it. I'll try and post some pictures to show you what I'm saying....post-87235-143141794488_thumb.jpg

1985 Buick Riviera Build Sheet.pdf

post-87235-143141794467_thumb.jpg