Something to consider

DAVES89

Just an idea to throw out there. A little history. About 5 years ago my wife and I decided to move back into a older section of a blue collar town. We always wanted a "character" house and found one on a small lot in town. We then about 3 years ago made a decision to "adopt" anyone around us that we saw "struggling" with one issue or another. It never involves money but it does involve something more valuable... time.

The guy across the street is in poor health so I rake his leaves in the fall, do small exterior repairs, and snow blow his driveway. The people next to me I just do the snow blowing. The young couple around the corner I help with repairs [inside and out] as they are suffering from lack of tools and little extra money.

The reason why I bring this up is right now we are in the "season" How great a gift it would be if one would just look around and see what you can do to help your neighbor. It doesn't have to mean that you have to be friends with the people you just helped, it just means you can use what knowledge/skill you have or were taught to help another.

I assure you that when you get back home you will feel better about yourself. And the person you just helped? They will never forget what you just did and may have a whole different opinion of you.

Something to consider, something to try

Merry Christmas!

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Dave, If everyone was as thoughtful as you the world would be a much better place.

I do what I can to help people but when I read about your involvement in your church with providing food for the less fortunate at Thanksgiving, with you helping people in need with their cars, and all the other things you do to help your fellow man, it inspires me to want to do more. Thank you for posting your thoughts during this season of giving.

Merry Christmas!

Great idea Dave. I was always the guy my neighbors and friends came to when they needed help with their car or home. I would help many without their asking or even their knowledge of who did the yard work. A few years ago I had a major heart attack that left me with severe damage to my heart. My neighbors and co workers all took turns mowing my yard, clearing my gutters, making meals and helping my family as I began a long, slow, recovery. Having been on both sides of your suggestion, I can tell you there is no downside to what you suggest. While I can no longer do what I used to, I still try to find ways to be the Good Neighbor. Merry Christmas, and the rest of the year too!

Guest 89 Maui

Nothing can match the satisfaction of helping others in their times of need. I live in a over 55 community of 25 and several do not have the extra income to hire an electrician or plumber to fix minor problems but I am there to help whenever possible.

I get teased for having had my Reatta up on jackstands for 3 months while I changed out my rusty fuel and brake lines, fuel tank and rear suspension, but to have someone stop by, while I'm on my creeper under the car, and thank me for helping them is such a high on satisfaction. They don't look at me as the "HOT RODDER" but the neighbor that cares.

Dave, you are one of the good guys. Spent a few hours myself on Christmas Eve changing a water heater for my neighbor. It had sprung a leak, had water all over the basement floor and no hot water as it killed the burner. Luckily I had no real family plans until today so it wasn't a big deal to do.

KDirk