1956 Buick Century axle studs

davidyavidy

:confused: Want to install aluminum mag wheels on a friend's '56. Unfortunately the axle flange is threaded for 9/16-18 lug bolts. I'd like to procure a step down stud with the 9/16-18 threads on one end and 1/2-20 threads on the other. Actual dimensions needed are 9/16-18 x 5/8 one end, 1/2-20 x 1.0 other end, and the unthreaded middle portion (i.e. shoulder, body, etc.) to be about 3/16" L. Total overall length of stud: 1 13/16". All dimensions +/- .030. I've checked with ARP Bolts, Fastenal, American Fastener, E-Bay Motors, and rockauto.com, to name a few and so far have come up empty. Also checked with a local machine shop who said they could make it, but declined due to liability fears. Any ideas/experiences? (Also suggested to the owner to just chrome plate the stock rims and install baby moons).

The original lug bolts would be too short to reach the axle threads as the aluminum wheels are almost an inch thick. The other problem is the original lug bolts are tapered under the head just like a standard lug nut to mate with the tapered opening in the steel rim. The mag wheel requires a flat washer under the head of the mag style lug nut so the mag nut would also need to be flat at the bottom end of the hex. Modifying the mag wheel would also doom its usage to only axles made like those on the '56. By using the special studs as I've described, the Buick could be returned to stock in a matter of minutes and the mag wheels could be used on another vehicle. The idea is simple. Making it a reality is not, apparently. I'll keep hunting.

I remember fighting for those '56 Buick wheel covers...... around 1962 and '63. I never got into painting the alternate squares red and white, but there is a full set in my garage in case I need them.

Now, I am curious. Someone actually wants to take wheel covers like that OFF a '56 Buick? Sounds like something one of my friends would have talked me into. I can almost hear my Dad's voice now.

Bernie

I had the same challenge some 20 years ago. I bought grade 8 bolts of the larger diameter and thread, then took them to the local vocational school where they cut off the heads and turned down the narrower diameter and thread pitch needed. Said the hardened bolts needed 3 passes each on the thread cutting lathe. They worked wonderfully! I've since moved back to the original wheels and hubcaps.