Can anyone identify this ca. 1920 car?

Guest Curator12

Guest Curator12

Thanks, Woodfiddler. :)

I had ruled out Studebaker because all the photos I found had spoked wheels, but doing another search shows that's not the case.

Very much appreciated.

Guest Curator12

I have one more photo. Same guy (my great-grandfather), but the hood ornament appears to be different. The small text on the license plate reads, "CONN. 1927".

post-90186-143139301852_thumb.jpg

Guest Curator12

Based on the curve of the hood and the side view of the grill, I'm guessing my great-grandfather had one of the Big Six models.

"Models from $1495 to $2225"

Quite a price range. That would be around $19,500 to $29,000 in 2012 dollars.

Woodfiddler, thanks again for your kind assistance.

There were slight differences in the shape to the top of the doors between the Big and Special Six cars the Big Six had a bulge on top but not outward whereas the Special Six had the bulge outward and not upward - a minor difference until you buy the wrong grab handle at Hershey and find out they were different too... I'm 99% sure the picture is of a 24 Special Six with the optional disc wheels.

Guest Curator12
I'm 99% sure the picture is of a 24 Special Six with the optional disc wheels.

I'll gladly take your word for it, MoneyPit. It seems like I've looked at dozens of cars from different manufacturers that look almost, but not quite, exactly like the car in that photo.

Cheers.

Yes, rubber certainly iimproved, but I believe road conditions were as much responsible for balding tires. Some of the pictures show real

baja trails as the norm! Out west in our rural areas, it was well into the 50s before one would venture without makeing sure one could get

through! I have an Idaho Transportation History book showing phases of road construction from the beginning. Horse drawn graders were

common. A really interesting book.

Perry