Guest Truth80

Guest Truth80

I need to put a sway bar on the rear end of my 54 Plymouth Savoy. It keeps rubbing on the fender and fender skirts when making right hand turns. I don't know what kind of sway bar to get or where to begin looking. Can anyone make suggestions on this or another idea? Would be a great help.

Does your car have the correct size tires and wheels? Are the rear spring bushings worn? A sway bar will not correct clearance problems.

X2. A sway bar will reduce body roll, but if the suspension geometry allows rubbing, the tires will continue to rub at some point. You will likely need to adapt an aftermarket bar. I suggest looking at various street rod vendors (:eek:), as there is a wide variety of bars available that clamp to the rear axle housing and use links that attach to the frame rails. You'll need to pick one that matches the width of your frame rails. If you like to search wrecking yards (hey, for me it's the thrill of the hunt), you are also likely to find something you can adapt if you have the skills to do that. One option is the Ford Crown Vic. These cars also use a rear bar that clamps to the axle housing and has links to the frame rails, however that bar may be too wide for your application.

X3 on the rear spring eye and shackle bushings! They are the ONLY places, with rear leaf springs, where any "slack" might be or develope due to deteriorated rubber parts.

Have you checked the rear wheel bearing adjustment? Seems like I recall the rear wheel bearings being similar to later model front wheel bearings . . . "spindle" and all?

AND . . . of course, having the stock size of tires AND width of wheels are a determining factor in the ultimate sidewall width of the tires . . . PLUS any differences in "offset" or (more commonly referred to in more recent times) "backspacing" of the wheels (separate and a part from the rim width spec mentioned earlier).

Several things to consider . . .

Please keep us posted,

NTX5467

You should not need to add any Panhard bar or sway bar. The axle is located by the springs. If the springs are properly bolted on, not loose, and the bushings are not worn, or springs broken you do not need anything else.

First move should be to inspect the rear suspension and replace worn or broken parts. Also check you have enough clearance to the fenders and fender skirts. The wheels and tires move around when you go over bumps, around corners etc. and if you put on non stock size tires you may not have enough clearance.

This is a common problem when putting radial tires on old cars that came with bias ply. The new tires are a lot wider. The solution is to buy the skinniest tires you can find, usually the cheapest. I know Walmart Marshal 791 tires are a good 2" narrower than name brand tires of the same size. The other solution is to buy bias ply tires from one of the antique tire suppliers.

Guest Truth80

Thanks for the input. I am going to check the bushings and springs again. You folks have bee a great help. I am really glad I joined this forum. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Truth80

Think I have the problem solved. I put gabriel air shocks on the rear. Pumped them up about half way. They are a lot firmer than stock. They also claim to make the car more stable from swaying. So far IT WORKED. No rubbing so far!!