Radio and Wiper question for 36 Dodge coupe

Guest Atari1977

Guest Atari1977

So I've posted before about my Grandfathers Dodge(which just got a new wiring harness), anyway we are thinking of putting a radio in it. So my questions would be, what period radio models should I look for, and where do they typically install. The car still runs on a 6V battery, and currently has a heater installed if that makes any difference. The car also lacks it's windshield wiper, apparently the old one just rusted away, the motor is still there though so what kind of wiper would I be looking for as a replacement?

Edited by Atari1977 (see edit history)

Occasionally, you will find a '36 Dodge radio on Ebay. There are controls that mount in the dashboard and a box with a speaker in it sits just above the steering column behind the dashboard. They were 6 volt.

Here is a picture of a complete radio for a 1936 Dodge. This radio was on E-Bay and sold a while back. The control head mounts in the dash in place of the left ash tray and the main radio box mounts on the inside of the firewall and above the steering column and hangs on a bracket that is bolted to the firewall. All parts are shown in this photo. They do come up on E-Bay quite often so are not too hard to find. Good luck and enjoy that old Dodge.

post-32603-143139243628_thumb.jpg

My car had a Motorola "60" radio in it and mounted under the dash above the column on a bracket bolted to the firewall. The speaker which is mounted in a paper cone was mounted under the dash at the center of the firewall. There are a lot of "period radios out there but make sure you can fine all the parts. I'm not sure about the coupes,but the sedans used the top insert as the antenna as it was insulated from the body. A shielded wire ran from the from the top to the radio along the "A" pillar. There was a gent advertizing radio repairs on the forum ,he may have access to complete units. You must also find a faceplate that matches the type of controls used. The plate mounts in the left ashtray opening and is finished like the other dash parts. IMO,with the lack of decent AM stations and poor reception it seems hardly worthwhile to have a radio but they do make a nice accessory. Some radio repairmen will adapt old AM radios to pick up FM channels which would enhance usage , but at extra cost. Good luck in your hunt! As far as the wiper parts check with Ficken Wiper service(631-587-3332) and there are others that advertize in Hemming's Motor News.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

The wiper arm and blades are available from www. restorationstuff.com. Their part #ACC011 and ACC081 are the arm and blades that fit. They also sell many other items you need such as correct screws for interior use. I have used these products on my car. Excellent quality and excellent price.

Guest Atari1977
IMO,with the lack of decent AM stations and poor reception it seems hardly worthwhile to have a radio but they do make a nice accessory. Some radio repairmen will adapt old AM radios to pick up FM channels which would enhance usage , but at extra cost.

Well I think we can get around that by using a car am transmitter, then just get music through a phone or mp3 player.