'32 Buick- sort of

Guest 32jimmy

Guest 32jimmy

We have a 1932 GMC truck with an early Buick 8 under the hood. This was a wrecker, and we're thinking maybe a special order with this motor, as well as Buick head- and marker lights. What we are trying to start with is id-ing the motor. The serial number is 2836510, and we have all the data plates on the truck itself, which is definitely GMC. We will be needing a few parts for the motor, as you can see from the attached pics. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.post-88840-143139231059_thumb.jpg

post-88840-143139230882_thumb.jpg

post-88840-143139230913_thumb.jpg

post-88840-143139230944_thumb.jpg

post-88840-143139230974_thumb.jpg

post-88840-143139231004_thumb.jpg

We have a 1932 GMC truck with an early Buick 8 under the hood. This was a wrecker, and we're thinking maybe a special order with this motor, as well as Buick head- and marker lights. What we are trying to start with is id-ing the motor. The serial number is 2836510, and we have all the data plates on the truck itself, which is definitely GMC.....QUOTE]

All I can tell you is info from a 1928-1954 BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK says:

.....1932 Buick engine and serial numbers started at ..... 2751922

.....1933 Buick engine and serial numbers started at ..... 2811457

.....Your engine serial number ................................... 2836510

.....1934 Buick engine numbers started at ................... 2861223.

It appears that your serial number of 2836510 would be a 1933 Buick engine.....just past the midpoint number (2836340) between 1933 and 1934. Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack
separated thread quote from post comments (see edit history)

32jimmy,

Yes, these do indeed look like '32 Headlights and fender lights. I am not familiar with what engines were used in any of the GMC trucks. We do know that with the water tube, this is a larger series engine, and hopefully someone knows the numbers and can respond. i do need to check about the starter, as the smaller series has the starter on the other side. I also think the exhaust for all series '32 come off the front, so this may be a '33 engine. Do you have any photos of the radiator?, and shell?

I hope we will hear from others who should have more knowledge on this. I would also love to see a photo of the instrument panel. These early Buicks had a rather complex pre-heater from the exhaust to the carburator, but I cannot tell just how this one might be arranged.

Either way, this is an interesting vehicle and should be an interesting project. Once we find the exact details of the engine, I think I can help you with parts, etc.

John

In the 20s and 30s GMC trucks used Buick engines. The smaller trucks used the standard engine and the larger ones the master. It was part of what made a GMC heavier duty than a Chevy. I don't know what the difference is anymore.

Very cool truck. It's going to be a great project.

Dave

Edited by Dave_B (see edit history)

I know that GMC used the 6 Cyl Buick engines through 1930. On the 6 cyl Buicks the masters used a water tube. When Buick came out with the 8 ALL of the engines used a water tube for a few years. As far as the starter location, IF I remember correctly in 1933 the starter on ALL series of Buick was on the drivers side. Next year they went back to the passenger side mount for the starter.

Bill

Guest 32jimmy

Thanks for ther info. Now we can narrow down the search. Is the master series the 230 or 248 in engine? And does anyone have a water tube available? Ours is pretty rough

I don't think the lights are 32 Buick. They would have the starburst formed in the lamps and the headlamps would have the tiebar links on the inner sides. It is definitely not a 32 or 33 50 series engine. With the exhaust manifold looking much like a 33 style, there are 2 large engine sizes 60 series and 80/90 series. 60 series 3 1/16 bore X 4 5/8 stroke. 80/90 series 3 5/16 bore X 5 stroke. I would guess that it is a 33 80/90 series engine. Water tubes are scarce. I would contact the 32 Buick registry to see if Mac has any water tubes. I'm not familiar with the 34 Buick engines.

Bob

Your chances of finding a good water tube are slim to none. Generally anything you happen to come across will be as bad or worse than the one you currently have. You best bet is to have a new one made. You might want to contact Josef Pepcak in the Czech Republic at pepcak@volny.cz. His userid here is papcak. He is a frequent contributor to this forum and has made a number of these pipes for other members, myself included. He has patterns available for several years, but I suspect you will need to send him yours.

Thanks,

I have the pattern of water return pipe for 1932 series 60 (4 curved legs, picture attached) and 1932 series 80 engine (6 straight legs). Also have pattern of engine side plates for these engines. I have attached the list of various pipes used in various years.. If your pipe is different to above, I can still reproduce it with pattern supplied. Let me know should you have any interest in new pipe made.

post-42602-143139234649_thumb.jpg

post-42602-143139235368_thumb.jpg

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

Guest 32jimmy

Also- is it possible that the lights had flat glass lenses put in as replacements? I'm grasping at straws here- not doubting anyone elses knowledge. thanks

I have read all the comments above and despite being no expert on GMC trucks and 30s Buicks I think we can safely conclude that

i) the engine number is 1933 engine; per my knowledge it could still be manufactured in 1932 as the MODEL year 1933 at Buick run from Aug 32 to July 33; Dave Corbin would surely had more data to calculate more precise date of manufacture, but he is not with us anymore.....

ii) if it is 1933 engine then it is series 60 engine as the water pipe has 4 legs; series 80 / 90 would have 6 legs (I have supplied it recently for 32 series 80 engine); 33 series 60 pipe seems to be unique for 33, 34 and 35 model year

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)