Questions about coil in fuel linel for 1920's

Guest AlanD

At some point in time, this coiled fuel line was added to this 1923 REO truck, as well as the zenith sediment filter below (after that is the carburetor). My instinct (and my plan at the moment) is to remove all of this and run a straight line from the tank to the carb, with a new in-line fuel filer.

But in the pursuit of knowledge, why was this done and is it a good thing to keep? Was it to prevent vapor lock, as to cool the fuel? Or was it to prewarm the fuel? I appreciate the input and suggestions.

post-75896-143139230114_thumb.jpg Thanks. Alan

Can't say with certainty. More line gives more surface to absorb heat but also more to dissipate it. My guess is vapor lock has more to do with placement of the lines near heat sources and air circulation than anything...............Bob

I'm only familiar with the 1920's cars, but a majority of the ones I've seen have the coil in the line right below the vacuum tank. I have always been told by others far more experienced than me that the coil is to prevent the breakage of the line and reduce stress on it. Vibration will cause the copper to break at some point with engine vibration. My two cents worth.

I agree. I guess the '32 Buick was cheaper, as there is only one coil. But someone before me, switched to a small flexible rubber hose. And I tried getting a coiled line returned from a spare engine for proper judging, but it is not easy to line the opening to the coil, so the rubber is still there. I consider the rubber a safety feature so it stays. Also still got vapour lock with no coil.

John