Looking for a "Manual Gate Water Valve"

96roadmaster

I didn't even know what this part was called until I just looked it up in the service manual. It's the valve that the heater hoses run into and out of on the passenger side wheel well just behind the vacuum reservoir. On page 11-31 and 11-32 of the 1964 Chassis Service Manual it shows the Manual Gate Water Valve in the diagrams. My car has a non-original one that just broke off from internal rust (so I can't attach a worthwhile picture of what I'm looking for) and I can't find a replacement from CARS or any other online searches. Does anyone have a lead on one of these? Or at least point me in the right direction?

The car is factory equipped with A/C if that makes a difference.

Good luck trying to find one of those, Roupin. They have not been reproduced and are a rare find.

The manual gate valve was only used a few years. They switched to a vacuum actuated valve in 65'; those are readily available as reproductions. As for the manual valve, every once in a while, an OEM one pops up on Ebay and it commands several hundred dollars!

Good luck trying to find one of those, Roupin. They have not been reproduced and are a rare find.

There are 2 things that make this even worse: 1) Riviera units are different from every other Buick. 2) '63 is different from '64 for Riviera. You might have better luck winning the lottery than finding another one.

BTW: I just finished fixing my old one. It was frozen shut like most others have experienced (ditto the broken TEMP control lever). I dis-assembled mine, freed up the center shaft and then re-assembled. Not the prettiest thing with all the tool marks on it, but the gate moves freely now. Still need to do some testing before I pronounce this a success.

Vacuum is the way to go! Even if you free up your mechanical valve, it will get tight again in a few years and then you risk breaking your heater temp lever again! (I almost did.)

Or you can leave the connecting wire link off of the manual hot water valve. I did that for a few years. You manually open the hot water valve in the fall and close it again in the spring when you don't need heat. Save that lever.

Vacuum is so much easier. If you are calling for air out of the dash vents only, the vacuum closes the hot water valve and you're done. No hot water inside the passenger compartment unless you are calling for heat.

Darn, I knew I was in for something difficult when I got no google results but this is just impossible. Time to re-read both the concept of manually opening and closing the valve, or converting it to vacuum if it's not too involved and picking between the two. Finding a parts car just for that part almost seems like an entirely logical idea!!

Thanks for the ideas guys :)

If you "google" cable heater control valve, and click on the IMAGES link on the left, you can see pictures of different kinds of cable operated heater control valves. It would require some engineering to make a mount, but it might be an easier solution than what's been suggested so far. I don't know if the '64 valve is unique to the Riviera or whether it might be the same for other models as well. If you're like me, when you find the car in a salvage yard 1) the valve will be stuck or 2) someone has beaten you to it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

If you "google" cable heater control valve, and click on the IMAGES link on the left, you can see pictures of different kinds of cable operated heater control valves. It would require some engineering to make a mount, but it might be an easier solution than what's been suggested so far. I don't know if the '64 valve is unique to the Riviera or whether it might be the same for other models as well. If you're like me, when you find the car in a salvage yard 1) the valve will be stuck or 2) someone has beaten you to it.

Ed

Bingo! Mine looks almost exactly like some of the results as it's not original to begin with. I'm more willing to try to match up one of these now that I know what I'm looking for. Thank you Ed, you're wealth of knowledge has been amazing!

• 11 years later...