Hot Reatta

Bushwack

What is the normal operating temp for the car and can the fan be programmed to turn on sooner?

I've read some past posts of people installing a 180* thermostat but didn't see anything regarding what normal temp should be (I assume 200*).

Guest Corvanti

pretty sure that 195 is standard, but if i needed to replace one, i'd go with a 180 around here, and with so-cal weather...

with 2 of my corvettes and my '63 avanti, i dropped down to 160.

With your A/C on, both the pusher and puller fan should be running. That would be the first thing to check.

The ECM controls the fan relays and in the above condition, the 12V supply feed the fans in series ie power goes into one fan, out into the second fan, then to ground. In affect the fans are running on 6v (another way of describing it would be they are running at 1/2 speed)

This condition prevails until the engine tempature reaches the factory preset of around 230 (Padgett has the exact numbers) at that time the ECM switches relays and each fan get 12V and they are now running at full speed. This probably relates to 2 to 3 clicks past straight up on the 1990-91 temp gage.

There are companies that can reprogram the prom in the ECM to do the switching at a lower tempature. I have had this done and it works quite nicely.

Good description of how the fans operate Barney. '88 owners should be aware that their fans are wired differently. I can't remember off the top of my head the sequence the fans are activated but I do remember they have a large resistor that drops the voltage to the fans for slow speed.

If someone would add information for the sequence of operation of the '88 fans to go with the above info I will add it all to ReattaOwner.com.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Yes

Thanks.

With the Vehicle Diagnostic System in hand (just found it buried in other papers), I can now look up error codes but how do I know if something it working correctly? I know that ED04 is temperature and at 195* (90 Celsius), all is good. But where do I find the correct measurements for all other items (i.e. O2 sensor, or at what temp the 2nd fan should come one; assuming there's an ECM or BCM code for that).

Still trying to troubleshoot why my car revs at 1,500 RPM w/ tranny in neutral when cruising 30+ MPH. I'm hoping a better understanding of the codes and what they should read when running correctly will help me troubleshoot.