need help with a 1985 Toyota Tercel

Guest dohamyr09

Guest dohamyr09

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel im restoring for a lady to give to her son. It has a rebuilt carb, new fuel filter and new send and receive lines. The car starts up but shuts off 5-10 seconds after starting. Im wondering if the fuel lines going from the tank to the motor are just gummed up so much that the car cant receive fuel. to get it started I have to pour fuel into the carb. please help me with this because I dont want her to get ripped off at a shop. Is there other issues i should also? thank you for looking at my post and im open to all opinions!

-chris

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel im restoring for a lady to give to her son. It has a rebuilt carb, new fuel filter and new send and receive lines. The car starts up but shuts off 5-10 seconds after starting. Im wondering if the fuel lines going from the tank to the motor are just gummed up so much that the car cant receive fuel. to get it started I have to pour fuel into the carb. please help me with this because I dont want her to get ripped off at a shop. Is there other issues i should also? thank you for looking at my post and im open to all opinions!

-chris

It's unlikely that the lines themselves are gummed up, unless they sat dry for a period of time. Far more likely is that there is crud in the fuel tank. As the fuel pump sucks gas from the tank, this crud is sucked up against the screen in the tank and plugs it, starving the car for fuel. Once the engine stalls, suction stops and the crud falls back into the tank, to begin the cycle again. Most likely solution is to drop the tank and flush it. Of course, before doing that, I'd temporarily put a fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet and verify that the pressure goes to zero just before the car stalls. If not, fuel supply isn't the problem.

It's unlikely that the lines themselves are gummed up, unless they sat dry for a period of time. Far more likely is that there is crud in the fuel tank. As the fuel pump sucks gas from the tank, this crud is sucked up against the screen in the tank and plugs it, starving the car for fuel. Once the engine stalls, suction stops and the crud falls back into the tank, to begin the cycle again. Most likely solution is to drop the tank and flush it. Of course, before doing that, I'd temporarily put a fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet and verify that the pressure goes to zero just before the car stalls. If not, fuel supply isn't the problem.

Before you do what Joe suggested, it's just as likely that the problem is a clogged fuel filter doing exactly the same thing. Try replacing the fuel filter first, and if that works and the car runs normally carefully open the old one up and try to determine what was clogging it. If you find a lot of rust it's likely that the tank is deteriorated and needs to be flushed anyway. If it's too far gone (i.e. has holes in it) you may have to replace it.

If the old filter just has old fuel and dirt in it, you're probably in free.

If changing the filter doesn't do anything then it probably is the pickup in the tank. Good luck!:)

Before you do what Joe suggested, it's just as likely that the problem is a clogged fuel filter doing exactly the same thing. Try replacing the fuel filter first...

Need to re-read the original post, Dave...

...It has a rebuilt carb, new fuel filter and new send and receive lines...

This sounds like a carburetor problem. Is it getting gas? Is the choke working correctly? Is the float setting correct and all other carb adjustments? See if you can get the OEM carb rebuild specs and set everything to factory specs.

And again, from the original post...

...It has a rebuilt carb, new fuel filter and new send and receive lines...

Is it possible that the rebuilt carb has an incorrectly adjusted choke? Sure it is. On the other hand, if the carb isn't getting gas, it isn't a carb problem, it's a fuel delivery problem as I noted above.