30 Hup Oil Filter

Guest Dvernon372

Guest Dvernon372

Hi. Im rebuilding the engine in my Century 6 S Hup. I have a question about the oil filter that came on the car. The canister has the inlet tube on top and outlet tube connection on the bottom. The canister is maybe 7-8 inches tall and 6 inches across. I'm sure that its full of gunk and wanted to clean it out. It looks like the top is soldered on but I didn't want to force it until I talked with someone. I would like to restore the car with an original type filter. Can someone tell me either how to open/clean my existing filter or where to find a replacement? Or should I just upgrade to a modern type filter? Thanks

david

Hi. Im rebuilding the engine in my Century 6 S Hup. I have a question about the oil filter that came on the car. The canister has the inlet tube on top and outlet tube connection on the bottom. The canister is maybe 7-8 inches tall and 6 inches across. I'm sure that its full of gunk and wanted to clean it out. It looks like the top is soldered on but I didn't want to force it until I talked with someone. I would like to restore the car with an original type filter. Can someone tell me either how to open/clean my existing filter or where to find a replacement? Or should I just upgrade to a modern type filter? Thanks david
The canister type oil filter that you have on your hupp was used on a few different cars. It is a disposable type. Do your self a favor & change it to a modern spin on filter. If you can find the old filter, they are expensive & being that old may be rusty inside that you cannot see. Putting all the time & money into rebuilding your engine and having it fail for an old oil filter. By the way I am not a expert on the model S Hupp, but I know where to get the info. I am also surprised that Sid did not get back to you as he is an expert on the Model S.

Guest Dvernon372

Thank you for the information. That's what I figured I needed to do. Im putting a lot of time and money in the car and sure dont want to shortcut at this stage. About an hour after I entered my last post, I received a reply from Bob with Sid's correct address. I have since sent him a message. Thanks again and have a nice rest of your day.

david

Last year at Hershey I came across a guy who makes a spin off filter inside a canister for the PUR 1/2 filter like you have. He was alonng the edge where the orange field met the green field not far from the arena. It looks like an old filter if you paint it orange but can be changed due to a modern filter hidden inside. I am having the engine rebuilt on my '31 L and getting one this year if I can find the guy again. They were about $100 I think but I like the authentic look rather than cob on a modern aluminum mount of some sort.

On the straight 8 L it mounts horizontally along the water jacket cover with special brackets and has 1/2" pipe threads on both ends. There is also a version (PUR 1?) that has smaller fittings on the ends.