Manual transmission in 63 riviera

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Has anyone ever heard of sombody putting a manual transmission in a 1st gen Riviera or any generation for that matter? Kind of currious.

Thanks

Just attended a small all Buick car show in Stillwater Mn this past weekend , there was a 63 or 64 Riv with a fuel injected nailhead AND a 5 or 6 speed manual trans. I looked down by the brake pedal and sure enough , the clutch pedal !! I would like to hear from the owner about all the extemely beautiful craftmanship he had in the car. Car was blue and I cant believe I was so taken by the car I didnt even think to look at the info card as to owns it. Someone on this forum??

I saw a 1963 or 1964 Riviera with a manual transmission in the modified class and I believe it was at the 2000 National in Richmond Va. It was red and I believe that is went up for sale shortly after that. Funny part is that I believe it was from Florida.

I was just going to post that I remember that car from the Richmond Nat's! Somewhere I have some pix of it.

John

I've seen manual trannies in the other full sized Buicks, I would think it would be easy enough to get the pedals and assorted parts to do the swap stock-ish. Custom, anything is possible. I have a T-56 in my '94 Impala SS - they didn't make manual trans b-bodies. :D

I thought that I remembered seeing a manual trans in an early Rivi stock, no? This was probably 25 years ago. Maybe in a mag?

I like the idea.

Over the last 35 years I have toyed with two modifications for my Riviera. Most damaging would be making it a convertible. I am very sure I could do it using '64 or '65 Skylark convertible parts.

Second and a bit more reversible is the standard transmission. I have owned some 4 speed cars. I always had a torquey engine that made 1st gear almost useless. I found myself quite happy taking off in 2nd gear almost all the time. Knowing that, my choice for the Riviera would be a Chevy close ratio 3 speed. All the parts are still available and I think it could be done nicely for around $2500. Now, if Ed Roth was still around to draw my picture winding out in second gear with an extended shift lever I'd probably do it. (The standard, not the convertible.)

Bernie

Over the last 35 years I have toyed with two modifications for my Riviera. Most damaging would be making it a convertible. I am very sure I could do it using '64 or '65 Skylark convertible parts.

Second and a bit more reversible is the standard transmission. I have owned some 4 speed cars. I always had a torquey engine that made 1st gear almost useless. I found myself quite happy taking off in 2nd gear almost all the time. Knowing that, my choice for the Riviera would be a Chevy close ratio 3 speed. All the parts are still available and I think it could be done nicely for around $2500. Now, if Ed Roth was still around to draw my picture winding out in second gear with an extended shift lever I'd probably do it. (The standard, not the convertible.)

Bernie

Here you go, Bernie. No need to cut yours up, just buy a new one.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3161543/1965-buick-riviera

I'm going to build one some day...

post-74569-143139176776_thumb.jpg

post-74569-143139176779_thumb.jpg