Wide whites

Guest billybird

Guest billybird

I know this has been discussed before but I just got some brand new wide whites for one of my cars. Since they are new, they have had the initial cleaning and look great. What I'm after is to MAINTAIN the new look. I would prefer to do it without water or at least the bare minimun. I need tips on what has worked for some of you personally. I'm not interested in opinions only facts that you KNOW from experience. The car is never driven in the rain. Thanks.

Yep, IMO what you are trying to do is a little different than restoring a clean look to old tires. I had a set of nice new 4" WWW Firestones on my Packard which I tried to drive in nice weather only, reality is the occasional car show field, road film and even just junk from the garage will force you to want to clean them at least a couple times a season. Tried a couple things, same thought pattern, as I only would wash the car if it got caught in the rain, etc. I found Bleache White is incredibly effective on new WWW especially if the surface is unmarred. I used that and a light bristle brush, no abrasives, etc. and paper towels to dry the tire and the inevitable water that gets into the wheelcover or trim ring area, etc. Go back after a half hour or so to collect the water that will settle at the bottom of the rim area.

You asked for experience and IMO the wipes, etc. don't cut it. If you hardly drive the car you are only looking at doing this 2 - 3 times a season. No doubt you store indoors but try to keep them out of the sun.

Tough to beat that look on the right car. ;)

The mineral spirits restoration trick Barry W. posted some time ago is effective, but unnecessary for your application.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
correction -mineral spirists not thinner (see edit history)

Guest billybird

Thanks guys for the informative responses. I was always under the impression that Westley's Bleche White actually had bleach in it. After reading the container, I saw no mention of bleach. I did'nt want to use anything containing Clorox. I would like to know more about Simple Green as I've never used it. All I've ever had to deal with is blackwalls and I wanted some info before just diving in on these nice WWW.

No bleach but as Restorer says nasty stuff to smell and mix that with the brake dust cleaner I use on alloys and you really have to come up for air after each wheel!! BTW - Bleache White, IMO is also one of the most effective BW cleaners I have seen, much better than these "one step" cleaner/conditioners so popular now.

I use Purple Power bought at AutoZone or Wal-Mart. You get a gallon for the price you would pay for a small bottle of Bleache White and it's as good or better.