'65 Riviera GS for sale on Long Island

Eric's.64.Superwildcat

I am sure the link won't work for long, but it looks like the same car (before a detailing and good pics) was on CL for $5,500

[h=2]1965-buick rivera grand sport - $5500 (staten island)[/h]

Date: 2012-09-06, 7:53PM EDT

<button style="display: inline-block;" id="reply_button">Reply to this post</button>Reply to: <small>bzhmj-3255109972@sale.craigslist.org</small> [Errors when replying to ads?]

1965 buick rivera grand sport .

good running condition.2-four barrels carburetors. V-8 motor.very fast car.new plugs. new points.new regulator.new condenser.4 very good extra tires comes with car.

must sell. I have to manny cars and to manny projects.

please no tire kickers.serious buyers only.call john at 1-718-351-1439 between 10am and 7pm . $ 5.500 or best offer.

1965-buick rivera grand sport

Wow - I'm beginning to think I should keep some cash in a mason jar in order to be the first responder when these things originally pop up on craigslist. This is the second 65 we saw go from CL to ebay equalling an $8k - 10k margin in about a week.

I wouldn't recommend a mason jar, since most are clear glass, and then someone will see your stash. Folgers coffee can. :)

Guys, you gotta keep me in the loop if you see these things pop up. I've got a bit of cash set aside, so if anyone see's something worthwhile pop up, send me a note, and I'll pay you a finder's fee.

Rob.

Guys, you gotta keep me in the loop if you see these things pop up. I've got a bit of cash set aside, so if anyone see's something worthwhile pop up, send me a note, and I'll pay you a finder's fee.

Rob.

I don't think getting this car was a matter of having the cash, as much as it was a matter of getting there first. Like many deals on CL, it is hard to get them long distance, you need to have someone local. You noticed both the previous and new owner are from the same area. I am sure it sold very quickly. I had forwarded the lead to a couple of guys I know in the area but they sat on their hands and wallets wondering if it was real and then it was gone.

I don't know that it was really a matter of getting there first. I'm still not convinced its a real GS. There is no block code stamp, no numbers matching of the block, no mention of a 3:42 differential or other things that are on the how-to-spot-a-GS checklist. I'm also assuming it is not in the GS registry, otherwise the current seller would have mentioned it.

I don't know that it was really a matter of getting there first. I'm still not convinced its a real GS. There is no block code stamp, no numbers matching of the block, no mention of a 3:42 differential or other things that are on the how-to-spot-a-GS checklist. I'm also assuming it is not in the GS registry, otherwise the current seller would have mentioned it.

Seller says its numbers matching, I have encouraged him to add pics to his listing showing the LX block code stamp and VIN on block. He isn't a Riv Gran Sport guy, so doesn't know the in's and out's of these cars.

Smokin` deal on C/L even for a formerly rusty, patched up car. Whether the numbers match or not my instincts tell me this is/was a legit GS. At the C/L price worth taking a gamble and buying sight unseen... I might have if I ran across or the C/L listing was posted here. Just another opinion...

Tom Mooney

OK Riviera People: It looks like a nice car that I would love to have. I would not trust the opening bid though. I'd trust it if it were very low and the description didn't sound so pompous. The seller might have been sleeping, true, and the buyer/flipper might have had the stars in alignment for that day. In any event the same rules apply and they are.....

1. Preview the car on the ebay and study the pictures.

2. Ask the seller for more pictures that might reveal more.

3. Get a vibe with the seller.

4. If the vehicle is fairly local preview it IN THE FLESH.

5. If you are far away and can dial in what the seller will cut it loose for, get on a plane and look at it.

6. If it's worth what you'd like to pay for it buy it, if not pass.

It's complicated that non-local buyers have to really spend a lot of energy and more money to make a play for it. It's simple that if it's what you want and you actually see it with doing your homework you will get what you want at a fair market price. Isn't that what it's all about anyway? Mitch

I agree. Things are much easier if you're local. If you're remote it pretty much requires a plane ride.

One has to remember in '65 there were 425-optioned cars that were not GS. Its still a great option, one simply has to be sure to be happy with that option.

Some of the other things that would be huge factors in price are:

Underbody/rust/structural integrity

There is no mention of transmission/drive train quality

Cowl tag (I keep mentioning that because it is important to me to know whether the car went through a color change)

Hard starts/engine issues

Electrical

accessory function

If that is a real GS it is entirely possible that $15k is still a fair, and more than fair, price for the vehicle. It shouldn't matter to the buyer what the seller paid for it.