25 DB Valve Settings - COLD

JayG

Does anyone know what the COLD valve adjustment settings are for a 25 Dodge. I have the engine stripped down for cleaning, painting and leaky gasket replacement. I'd like to adjust the valves while I'm at it while everything is out of the way.

Thanks, Jay

Jay, As you probably know, "The Book" says to adjust them when engine is warmed up, set to .005" - .006". I think you'd be OK if you set the clearance to .007" for intake and .008" for the exhaust valves when cold. Just remember to check clearances again when you've got it running.

For what's it's worth...the valve clearance specs for my '32 6-cylinder, set hot, are inlet = .005, exhaust = .007. But when I set them cold at .012, I didn't get satisfactory performance until they were opened to .015. Up until then, I got some missing (from incomplete valve sealing) when the engine was fully warmed up and under load. Your situation may turn out differently, but maybe something to keep in mind. It's better to err on the wider gap side than risk burned valves.

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Well, It really got me to thinking--I've had old cars of many different types and years, the lifter/valve stem clearance can be varied. Sure enough, I removed the valve covers on the '25 just a bit ago, again, to VERIFY my readings of months ago. (why didn't I write them down??). The COLD clearance on this Dodge Brothers engine is .007" - .008" and one was .009".--COLD. This Dodge was driven hundreds, if not thousands of trouble-free miles by it's previous owner,(RIP), as a family member told me of his Dad's New England tours he took with this car. NO ONE has touched this engine since his death in '94. This is verified. It actually looks like the engine's never been apart. I now have such great compression using the hand crank since I did have some stuck valves back in April of this year at purchase. The compression leak down is well within limits. The car had not been even started since owner's death. Anyway, I'm always learning a few idiosyncrasies about this Dodge engine every day. Perhaps this valve train design somehow runs cooler? I see no valve issues now with my engine, so I'm keeping these valve clearances as I find them. When I get it running, which will be very soon I hope, I'll check the hot clearances.---Pete.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

After a lot of consultation with some old timers here in Johannesburg as well as all the input from this Forum, I set mine at 0.011" and 0.012" cold. I agree with a point made that the Dodge valves may run colder than usual, which is why I came down a little from some advice to go with a wider gap.

My car will be running a a few weeks (Parts permitting!) and I will give feedback at that time.

Regards

Jay, I have a $3.00 roll of cork gasket material in my shop that I cut all sorts of gaskets from, including two new cork gaskets for the Dodge valve covers. Just unroll the cork material, trace around cover with a ball point pen, cut it out with a pair of scissors. brush on a coat of "Weldwood contact cement" made by the DAP people, found in most hardware stores. Do both the cover edges and the cork, allow to set-up, then carefully place the cork gasket on the valve cover and it's permanent. I choose to cut out the center of the gasket so as I only have a thin cork strip cemented around the mating edge of the valve cover-to-block instead of a huge floppy piece of cork doing nothing to seal the cover to the block. I also found it better to leave the areas bare where the valve covers overlap each other and close to the heat tube. It's hard enough to get these in right without a gasket getting in the way. Jay, my '25 didn't have their gaskets on the covers either. The covers-- were originally, slightly dish shaped, so when the wing nut is tightened, it should in theory, flatten out evenly around the perimeter of the valve cover--- The rear cover overlapping the front one and finding it's way through the little groove at the top of the heat tube at the same time. ---GOOD LUCK.!!!

Pete - Thanks for the suggestions on the valve cover gaskets. I do have a roll of cork gasket and was going to make my own. I like the idea of only using the edge and cutting out the excess. Sticking it to the valve covers is also a good idea. I can see them being a pain to work with.

I will be checking the valve clearances before I touch them but from what I'm seeing from the posts .007 and .008 may be what I will set them to. Thansk to all for the input.

Thanks, Jay