New Member - Just Saying Hi

Pizzamiglio

Evening All,

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I just signed up for the ROA last week. I just picked up a 65 that was sitting in a field for many years, and is in need of a full restoration. Hoping to turn it into a father/son project, but....he is 15 (attention span of a goldfish). :)

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone and getting to know the group.

Mario

Guest Steeleco

Mario,

What kind of shape is the 65 in? Does it start or can it drive? Everybody loves pictures and they are easy to post here. Best of luck on the project.

It's not in the best shape, but it could be worse I guess. It was found in field in central Virginia. :) It does not start, but can be cranked by hand. Body is straight and solid, with the exception of a couple rusted out foor pans. It was originally Burgundy Mist, with Saddle custom interior. Not sure yet if we are going to restore it to factory colors (my son is trying to convince me to go black on black).

post-87950-143139162549_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139162543_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139162548_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139162552_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139162555_thumb.jpg

Mario,

Welcome aboard to the Forum and ROA. Hopefully your son will be eager to involve himself in the project. While he may not understand the full value of working on it "together" at the time, years later he will certainly cherish the experience. Plus at that age he needs something to keep him focused away from other distractions and temptations. When I was 15 it was opposite. My dad never had much interest in cars other than it being a device to get from point A to point B so I was on my own and learned alot of things the hard way.

Burgundy Mist is a stunning color. I bet if your son saw a freshly painted one he might not be as sure about going to black.

Take your time and ease into the project slowly. Membership in ROA will open doors to critical information in rebuilding your car. The more time you take to fully evaluate your plan in fixing up the car such as how far to go with it, what will you do first, where will you get parts, how much will they cost, how much will out sourced labor be for the stuff you can't do yourself, etc, will go a long ways towards insuring a successful project. Fixing up Rivieras isn't like doing a mainstream classics such as a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, etc because there are few repro parts available nor are there model specific restoration guides.

You might consider adding your ROA number in your signature. It can help get a more timely and detailed response to posts. The ROA national is in Lexington KY in 2013 which may not be too far for you if you are in VA. Attending a national meet is a great way to meet like minded folks and get educated on your specific model of interest.

Guest Steeleco

I think your car looks great! Have you tried putting a thimble full of gas directly in the carb and cranking it? (that may be a dumb question).

Mario,

Burgundy Mist is a stunning color. I bet if your son saw a freshly painted one he might not be as sure about going to black.

You might consider adding your ROA number in your signature. It can help get a more timely and detailed response to posts. The ROA national is in Lexington KY in 2013 which may not be too far for you if you are in VA. Attending a national meet is a great way to meet like minded folks and get educated on your specific model of interest.

Here's a picture of a '65 with the same color scheme as yours. This picture was taken at the ROA event in Eureka Springs, AR in 2005. (The shoulder belt is an owner modification.)

See you in Kentucky? Go to the top of this forum for info on dates and hotel info. For a lot of us this will be another yearly family reunion. The cars are there, but it's the friends that keep bringing us back. You don't have to bring a car to attend. It's a place to make contacts and learn. Sometimes it's more fun w/o a car. More time to visit and look around at other cars. Less time spent primping.

Ed

post-50017-143139163241_thumb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

@Jayson - I am still waiting for my ROA membership kit. Once I get that, I will put my member number in my signature. :)

@Steele - I have not tried putting gas in the carb. The valve covers, rockers, and push rods were all removed when I bought it. Have to put it back together before I can do anything with it.

@Ed - That is gorgeous! I will show my son - I know he is going to love it. I am hoping to make it to KY - not too far for me, from DC. I assume it is fine to bring the wife and kids?

Mario,

One of the reasons that my wife enjoys the ROA events is that she gets to see the other wives. There's always something going on that the entire family can enjoy doing together or with other families.

In the one of the last issues of the Riview, our director printed a statement that was made to him by one of the wives. She told him that rather than telling others that she was going to a Riviera Owners annual meet and having to explain what that was, she just told them she was going to a family reunion. She's literally telling the truth; we're just not connected by blood.

The saying used to be "the first time you come for the cars, from then on you come for the people." That's true. Either way, "..for the people" or "family reunion" we're just glad to get together. You'd be amazed at how far people will travel to attend. This past year, one family drove over 5,000 miles one way to get there - Nova Scotia to California. Then they had to drive back. It's an international event as well. Folks flew in from as far away as South Africa and Australia this past year.

We're looking forward to seeing you there.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Mario,

One of the reasons that my wife enjoys the ROA events is that she gets to see the other wives. There's always something going on that the entire family can enjoy doing together or with other families.

In the one of the last issues of the Riview, our director printed a statement that was made to him by one of the wives. She told him that rather than telling others that she was going to a Riviera Owners annual meet and having to explain what that was, she just told them she was going to a family reunion. She's literally telling the truth; we're just not connected by blood.

The saying used to be "the first time you come for the cars, from then on you come for the people." That's true. Either way, "..for the people" or "family reunion" we're just glad to get together. You'd be amazed at how far people will travel to attend. This past year, one family drove over 5,000 miles one way to get there - Nova Scotia to California. Then they had to drive back. It's an international event as well. Folks flew in from as far away as South Africa and Australia this past year.

We're looking forward to seeing you there.

Ed is correct, from the first time you go, your treated like old friends and / or family, The ROA meets are GREAT FUN !!

OK Pizzamiglio: What you have is many people's dream 65 Riviera. The color is perfect as is the equipment, a custom interior, power windows and a/c. My suggestion would to be to get it running and start dialing in from there. Cleaning and polishing the living daylights out of it will make you familiar with what you have. The body and interior from the pictures indicate that it is very straight, not rusty and unmolested. These ingredients are crucial no matter what you and your son decide to do with it. I think that you'd be very surprised how good this car is going to look.

One other thing. The fact that your son is interested in this is off the page fantastic. My 19 year old boy has never shown any interest in old cars and from what I gather, he is not alone. Enjoy your project, Mitch.