1955 Engine decals

Paul Falabella

• 2 weeks later...

The engine on my 1955 Century does not have the oil filler/breathers on the valve covers. But I notice in pictures of engines like mine there seems to be indentations on the top of the covers in the shape of the decals (see picture on left). Or am I just seeing things? My valve covers do not have those indentations (see picture on right).<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-72478-143139155304_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143139155308_thumb.jpg

Edited by packick (see edit history)

The engine on my 1955 Century does not have the oil filler/breathers on the valve covers. But I notice in pictures of engines like mine there seems to be indentations on the top of the covers in the shape of the decals (see picture on left). Or am I just seeing things? My valve covers do not have those indentations (see picture on right).55BuickJoeHopkinsNoIndentation.jpg<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Yes there should be a stamped shield in the top of a 54-early 55.

Since any valve cover from any year nailhead will fit, you probably have a later year valve cover (or two).

That's a variation I haven't seen before. I don't think they are later. Don't ALL the later years have an oil filler? Or a PCV connection? I would place the decal on the center where the indentation would be

Paul Falabella

Just did a little freshening up while taking care of other stuff. No sign of decals here either.
55BuickPaulFabella.jpg

Very Nice Paul!! That looks great! Where did you get the heater/defrost duct tubing?

I have to point out however the power steering pulley should not be painted black (nor should it be painted green, as mine). Notice Joe's (Packik) photo, the power steering pulley . That zinc plating on Joe's is the correct finish.

Parts that should be zinc plated

• power steering pulley
  • water pump pulley, fan spacer and fan
  • generator pulley/fan
  • hood latch assembly (upper and lower)
  • crank pulley

I'm don't know what the correct finish for the A/C compressor is. I would guess, those probably came to Buick already finished. The A/C pulley probably (another guess) black the same as the compressor.

And I notice the correct style battery. Is that a reproduction group60 battery? I've had two of those, in ten years, and had nothing but trouble out of both. Those batteries are not actual group60. They are a much smaller side post battery put into the group60 sized case. Leading to hard starts deeper cycles, thus shortened battery life.

When I had the repro; If, the starter had turn more than a few revolutions to get the engine running, I had to boost off a battery pack or another car. the starter was not turning fast enough to get the nailhead running. Not good for the starter either. Those reproductions were the only group 60 I could find.

So, I put in a group27 from NAPA. Problem solved!! I can let the Roadmaster sit for a week. And, when it cranks it fires up like it just been run an hour before.

The group60 is 13"x6-5/16" x9"

The group27 is12-1/2"x6-13/16"x8-7/8"

About 1/2​" difference in length and width. So, the factory type hold down will fit.

The 27 negative post was almost too far for my ground to reach. as it had to go across the top of battery. But, it just made it.

A 27F (reverse posts) would put the ground post on the same side as the 60. The positive cable shouldn't have trouble reaching a 27F(reverse) as it comes up to the end of the battery (looking at Joe's photo again, his battery looks like 27 or maybe a 24)

My mechanic suggests having the reproduction in place for shows. And, having a better battery for driving (swapping them as necessary).

Hey Bulldog,any idea what dealer your car was purchased at new? Mine came from Morgan Bros. Selma Ala.
Ours came from Don Drennan Buick, Birmingham. Dad was the second owner.

I took a close-up picture of the top of my valve cover. There is a flatish raised area as you can see in the photo. I am sure that's where the decal goes. (Someday I will have to buy a can of paint.)

By the way, last week I also purchased a Group 27 battery. Fits nicely. But I did have to modify my hold-down bracket a bit.

post-72478-14313915614_thumb.jpg

Edited by packick (see edit history)

The a/c compressor looks correct (did you ever get it working?). My nailheads like thick battery cables like their older 6v relatives...makes cranking easier. Another alternative to the original group 60 battery is the group 31 (commercial truck/bus) battery... all dimensions are the same except it is slightly taller than the group 60 and the terminals are centrally located at the ends. With 750-1000 cca it is more than adequate. At 75# it is nearly twice as heavy as the group 60. I have been lucky and had good service with the reproduction that has the captive gel cell.

Willie

Thanks, as I like to say it looks a 100% better. PS pulley came painted when I stripped it it needed to be buffed,just easier to paint. I've seen as many painted as plain I think. Will get to the intake and valley cover this winter.

I think the chrome will go to Librandi's if the number they send back doesn't send me into shock.

Went with the battery on looks alone. Nothing else looked like an original.

Think I got the defroster duct from CARS.

Haven't got the A/C working yet,sorting other more important things like a collapsed brake hose and a slightly incontinent transmission.post-54093-143139157033_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143139157003_thumb.jpg

• Like 1