Heat riser

Guest btate

I am not by any means a expert car person, so I will ask a question that I am sure to most simple. The heat riser in the exh manifold is it needed? I believe it is for cold morning warm up. Is that right and that it's only purpose. My mechanic remove it, so I could send off the manifolds to be coated and he ruin the spring by stretch it out in a straight line. Since I live in the South do I really need it? Thanks

I guess I am still a little unclear here? If the heat riser is removed, will there not be a rather large-sized gap between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe that needs to be closed? Would not seem to be enough free play in the exhaust pipe to seal that gap?

Well almost clarified. The shaft for the riser is well down in the body of the manifold and in ample space before the header flange end of the manifold that connects to the exhaust header pipe that in turn, connects into the front of the muffler. So when you remove the riser baffle and rod you have two holes which need to be filled. You tap them. Insert flush threaded plugs making sure to first coat threads with anti-seize paste. Most use a female hex head plug arrangement on the business end of the plug so you can use an ellen wrench to install and or remove later. That's where the anti-seize comes in.