Best fuel additive for a 1958 Rambler

Guest Basementcat

Guest Basementcat

Hello,

I am the new owner of a 1958 AMC Rambler! I am looking for suggestion as to the best gas additive.

Thank-you!

Guest Basementcat
Are you wondering about a "lead replacement" additive or an "ethanol-compensator" additive?

Just curious,

NTX5467

Lead replacement.

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. The unleaded gas scare has turned out to be a complete non-event. Maybe if you're running at high speeds through the desert with a trailer you might get some valve seat recession, but for normal hobby car driving, regular gas will be fine. Now there are some issues with ethanol, and they are well documented on this site and elsewhere, but in terms of additives, don't waste your money. Lead was mostly an octane enhancer, with the "lubricating" properties only "discovered" later, but it was never part of the engine design team's working parameters. Some guys like things like Marvel Mystery Oil, and that's certainly OK, but I've never put any such things in any of my cars and have never had any issues with the valvetrain. If you ever have the engine apart for major surgery, putting in hardened valve seats can't hurt, but if your car runs well and you're just tooling around in it, fill 'er up and drive!

Hope this helps.

Guest Basementcat

Wonderful!! Thanks for your advice-- very helpful! I see you are in Cleveland- are you taking any of your cars to the Lakewood show tomorrow? Look for the pink Rambler- she's mine! :)

THANKS again for the info!

Your engine is low compression, low stress engine. Not finicky like a high performance engine. It will run fine on the cheapest low octane regular. It can't hurt to add a shot of Redex, Bardahl, or Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas but is not necessary.

One problem came along in the 80s due to Gasohol or alcohol in gas. On some older cars the alcohol would dissolve or rot the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel lines, fuel pump and carburetor. This was cured by a rebuilt carb or fuel pump or fuel line with the new formula rubber. Most all old cars have had the carb rebuilt and fuel pump rebuilt some time in the past 30 years.

To answer your next question, the same 10W30 oil you use in a new car will be fine. No special oils or additives required. If you want to be real picky a lot of old car owners swear by Shell Rotella 10W30 or 15W40. It's good oil, not hard to get or very expensive.

Guest Basementcat
In a funny coincidence a friend of mine in Peterborough Ontario just bought a pink 1958 Rambler six cylinder sedan.

Your friend has fine taste in vehicles!

Back in the "High Compression Days", Amoco marketed a high octane "lead free" gas. Never did hear anything of it causing the many issues unleaded fuels were later supposed to cause . . . but then too, TEL is NOT the only anti-wear gasoline additive, either, just the least expensive AND it was a key player in octane increases.

1958 Ramblers were some spiffy cars!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Basementcat

Thank-you! Just from research and the help I've received on this thread, it looks like Marvel Mystery Oil is the way to go! I appreciate your input!

One thing about the Marvel Mystery Oil is that is that it is supposed to help prevent rust in the fuel system, which might be increased with the water-attraction capabilities of the ethanol'd fuels we now have in many parts of the nation. Plus probably a little more lubricity in the gas for possibly lessened valve guide wear? In any event, it's been around plenty long enough that it should be safe to use. You can find it in larger containers, too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Basementcat

I did some research on the stuff on line-- it does seem to be trusted AND been around for a long time. With the recommendations on this site as well as the reviews on-line, I think I have found my winner. Thanks for your input!