Need info on a 1930's Daimler Limo

tomwallace

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I purchased a 1930's Daimler Limo from the estate of an eccentric car collector in the midwest USA.

The story told to me is that this car was used at the coronation of King George VI. This collector bought the car from the family decades ago and eventually had it shipped to the USA.

The research opportunities for Daimlers here in the USA is hard to come by. I have ordered several books.

This car is a 4.6 liter straight eight. I believe it may be a 1936.

The data tag on the firewall says "Type V. 4 1/2 LITRE" "No 43512" "The Daimler Co Ltd" "Coventry, England".

The car is fitted with Daimler "FLUID FLYWHEEL" TRANSMISSION.

Any help on info is appreciated. Any sources such as owner's manuals or shop manuals would be fantastic.

post-31807-143139128947_thumb.jpg

post-31807-143139128936_thumb.jpg

Guest 33stude

Hi Tom, I was emailed a link to this topic by Bernie, another member of this forum. I have also just purchased a "basket case" 1936 Daimler but mine is a Model E 3 1/2 Light Straight Eight. However I do happen to have an original Instruction Manual for a V. 4 1/2 if you are interested. Would be pleased to here from you.

Kind regards, John

Congrats on saving a cool car. At the AACA Annual Meeting, I picked up a book at the Library & Museum Auction that (another copy of which) should help in your research. It is Royal Daimlers, by Brian E. Smith, 1976, published by Transport Bookman Publications Ltd., Middlesex, England, ISBN 0 85184 019 1. Check with the Library and see if they have another copy.

Chapter V (120 pages) deals with the Coronation of George VI, and a number of photos show long lines of Daimler Company and Daimler "Hire Cars" that were used in the procession. There are many pics of Daimlers used during that time by other royals and London's Lord Mayor, as well. Some of them show the license plates, which I believe came with your purchase.

The book also has an appendix listing the Royal Daimlers in household, all bodied by Hooper with center-opening doors and much higher greenhouses than the standard cars.

Since you have the license plates, check out British Pathé's awesome site of newsreels covering the Coronation.

Search Results - British Pathé

It would be very cool if you can find your car among the many film clips of the procession. If you don't mind, share with us those plate numbers.

TG

I have two photos of the license plate numbers. The rear plate is intact but the front plate was quite banged up and missing two numbers. Both plates have the same number but the numbers/letters appear to be a different "font". What does this mean? A previously repaired plate??

post-31807-143139129599_thumb.jpg

I am am going to Pebble beach next week for the Concours D'Elegance. If anyone wants me to bid on a couple cars for you, just give me your credit card number (kidding of course).

I'll be out of touch till I come back home in 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tom Wallace

Dayton, OH

post-31807-143139129584_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomwallace (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Chassis 43512 was sanctioned and built in 1936, according to Brian Smith's Daimler Days. According to Glass's Car Check Book, however, chassis 43500 thru 48399 were issued from February 1937 until sometime in 1940 (tho' some may have been issued out of sequence, and earlier or later than expected). At any rate, this is a coach-built car, so it doesn't necessarily follow that the body was built the same year as the chassis; but usually chassis were bodied the same year or the following one. Does the car have a coach-builder's tag? Is the body-builder known?

I can look up the registration number tonight in a book I have at home to determine registration year, which is the official year of a British car of this period (and which will most likely be the same year the body was completed).

Edited by Bill K.
Added data. (see edit history)

Specs for the regular Straight 8 (not the Light Straight 8):

H.P. = 32

R.A.C. = 31.8

BORE/STROKE = 80 X 115

C.C. = 4624

WHEELBASE = 11' 10"

TYRE SIZE = 7.00 X 18

Source: Stone & Cox, Motor Specifications and Prices, 1948 edition