'53 Roadmaster bumper question

53buickconvert

I am fitting everything back together on my Roadmaster prior to painting and as I put the bumpers on, I can't remember how the small bumper brackets fit on. Would anyone have a photo of how the brackets fit on. i think that these smaller brackets go on the rear bumper. This is the result on taking things apart 3 years ago and not taking enough pictures.

Tim

I had sort of the same issue with my 46 RM, I laid the rear bumper on the floor behind the car, then mixed and matched until I could see that with this bracket here, and that one there, well, it looked like it would then bolt up to the frame.

It worked for me, not sure it will for you, YOU possibly have already tried this method.

I wish you well, I'm guessing someone will produce a drawing of what goes where.

Dale in Indy

I am fitting everything back together on my Roadmaster prior to painting and as I put the bumpers on, I can't remember how the small bumper brackets fit on. Would anyone have a photo of how the brackets fit on. i think that these smaller brackets go on the rear bumper. This is the result on taking things apart 3 years ago and not taking enough pictures.

Tim

The key to mounting the rear bumper correctly is to make sure that you install the three frame-to-bumper brackets correctly . . . . . left outer (L) on the left side with the arrow up; the right outer ® on the right side with the arrow up; and the center inner one with the capital letter "T" on the top edge and the "T" facing toward the trunk lid. The "T" is almost dead center on the length of the inner bracket. If your brackets are heavily pitted, markings may not be visible.

Pic #1:

"Living proof" that a 1953 Buick Super/Roadmaster rear bumper can be installed upside down. Note the sagging appearance. This pic is of a friend's 1953 Buick Skylark that I sold for him in 1995 . . . . . after I turned the entire assembly right-side up.

Pic #2:

Sketches of the rear bumper, brackets, and bolt head facings that I made after taking a few rear 1953 Buick Skylark bumpers off.

Pic #3:

Arrows and letters that you should see on your outer frame-to-bumper brackets.

Good luck on this two-man job.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139120965_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139120923_thumb.jpg

post-41556-14313912093_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
corrected mispeled word (see edit history)

The code on the brackets are U678 and U679

Tim

After further review, reading the bracket numbers, and reading your mind, I'm thinking that you are looking at brackets for the FRONT BUMPER . . . . . NOT THE REAR BUMPER . . . . . bracket "A" as noted in the pic below.

Is this a correct assumption?

Al Mack

BCA #8965

post-41556-143139121777_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
added pic (see edit history)

Hi Al

Do you know if bracket A was used on all 53 Skylark and Roadmasters?

I have two roadmasters and one Skylark and only one of the Roadmasters has bracket A, the other two do not and both are later cars. I am wondering if they were dropped on the later cars, but do not think that they would have been dropped.

Thanksd

Steve

I noticed on post #6 that in the picture it appears that the rear bumper wrap around pieces seem to run down hill so to speak. Pictures of other Skylark's don't do such, at least the ones I have seen.

If you have two with out the 'A' bracket, it would seem to me that they were dropped by the factory.

Dale in Indy

Hi Al

Do you know if bracket A was used on all 53 Skylark and Roadmasters?

I have two roadmasters and one Skylark and only one of the Roadmasters has bracket A, the other two do not and both are later cars. I am wondering if they were dropped on the later cars, but do not think that they would have been dropped.

Thanksd

Steve

The BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK lists the following:

Brace, front bumper guard to frame rail, outer

Group #7.829 . . . . . Part #1162304 Right . . . . . Part #1162305 Left . . . . . 1953 50 (Super) & 70 (Roadmaster) series.

1953 Buick Specials (40 series) used a similar brace; they have different part numbers.

I've never heard or read anything about Buick deleting this part.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack
added: 1953 Specials (40 series) note (see edit history)

. . . . . Here are pictures of the brackets. Thanks Tim

149348d1344708046t-53-roadmaster-bumper-question-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1344708047.102936.jpg

As suspected, these brackets look like they may be the type "A" for the FRONT bumper of a 1953 Buick Super or Roadmaster. See pic in Post #7 above. They look similar to mine off a 1953 Buick Roadmaster 76X EXCEPT they do not have the hole approx. at midpoint of the bracket length. I do not know what these holes would be for. Do your brackets measure 12" in length from tip to tip? If not, I'm thinking that they might be off a 1953 Buick Special or ? Did these come off your 1953 Roadmaster?

The orientation of the brackets as pictured above is correct if you're facing the car from the passenger side . . . . . the slotted hole on the left goes toward the rear of the car and is bolted to bracket "B" . . . . . and the short return leg on the right goes toward the front of the car and is bolted to the front bumper guard. The ends of the short legs face their respective front tire. Make sure the arrows with the "L" and "R" point up and are not installed reversed and upside down. These brackets DO NOT get bolted to the "U-shaped" bracket labeled as "U" in Post #7's pic. See my sketch below.

It should be noted that all parts labeled "A" thru "U", as shown in Post #7's exploded view pic, can be bolted together, EXCEPT for "E, G, H, and I" and then installed as a complete assembly to the frame. Makes the whole job a lot easier.

Let me know if you can get these to work for you.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

If you look real close to the exploded view of the front bumper assembly in Post #7's pic, brackets "A" and "B" are not shown exactly correct for a 1953 Super or Roadmaster. This could be somewhat confusing.

post-41556-143139129788_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al, many thanks!

I thought that the bracket had been there before but didn't fit. With the help of your diagram and directions I went down there tonight think I got it figured out. Attached are several pics, one with the bumper in place but I am going to take it off to install the bracket.

Best regards,

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-61997-143139135759_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143139135764_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143139135771_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143139135776_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...