What Color Black.

Bill Harmatuk

If you were to paint a 1930 Chrysler CJ-6, 4 door sedan.... 99.85% original, what single stage black paint would you use.???

I have already bought a gallon and a half of PPG Corvette BLACK, for the top coat. No metal flake. Just single stage, acrylic enamel, BLACK.

Is there another black that should be used.??

Any suggestions or feed back is/are welcome.

Bill H

The car was originally black from the factory. Just want her to look correct.

I have been tossing around, beating myself up, etc, etc... looking for a color combination other than black but I always go back to black.

There is nothing prettier and period than a black sedan. The wooden spoked wheels and small amount of bright work, (chrome), will add just enough contrast to the black. Then there is the Packard Ivory, double pin stripe, the length of the body.

Bill H

Guest stephen48

Hi Bill. In my view black always looks good and would suit your Chrysler very well, especially being the original colour.

Over the years I have used black Dulon and found it good to work with.

Here are the original colors used by Chrysler in 1930.

Color Chip Selection

Color Chip Selection

You won't go wrong using the same colors the factory used. Any auto paint company should be able to mix the paints. Just give them the name or number of the color. It may take a day or 2 to get the formula from headquarters but they can get it. If not there are companies that can.