Headlamp rim removal (1924)

Guest occrj

Guest occrj

Hi all,

I need to remove the headlamp rims from my '24. The handbook doesn't specify exactly how they come off. Externally I can only see the adjuster screw in the back of the bowl. If I pull gently on the bottom edge of the rim, I can feel movement and it feels as if I'm pulling against something spring-loaded. Does the chrome rim simply pull off from the bottom edge, or does it come off in a different way?

Thanks everyone :-)

lamp.jpg

The rim and lens assemblies come off the drum with a tight grasp, sometimes a couple of the rubber lid removers your other half may have in your kitchen, and then turn the rim to the left, counter-clockwise, a couple of inches, to remove them. Once they're off, clean up the rust and dirt that's probably on the mating parts and put a very thin coat of grease on the locking cams. Be careful when you put them back on. Make sure you've got the entire headlight rim on the drum. If you miss one of the locking cams and go to tighten the rim, now turning it clockwise, the rim can warp to the point of cracking your lens. Hope this helps!, Best regards, Pete.

Guest occrj

Both headlamps were successfully dismantled and cleaned up this evening, all mounting faces are lightly greased so that should help next time they come off. I notice I'm missing one of the three sprung metal clips on the passenger side, I don't suppose anyone has a spare they'd be willing to post over?

thanks, Richard (UK)

I don't have any extras Rich, as a matter of fact, there's one missing from one of my headlight drums too! It won't really hurt anything as long as the rim fits on tightly, as it should. You would think they would reproduce these little buggers???

Both headlamps were successfully dismantled and cleaned up this evening, all mounting faces are lightly greased so that should help next time they come off. I notice I'm missing one of the three sprung metal clips on the passenger side, I don't suppose anyone has a spare they'd be willing to post over?

thanks, Richard (UK)

I may have some in a headlamp in the shop. Got any photos of those clips?

Guest occrj

Hi all,

Ok the lamp in question is shown at the top of the thread, the clip I need is the one shown below, made from a sprung metal with the slots that (hopefully) you can see:

clip.jpg

If anyone can help out, please PM me.

thanks, Richard

Looks like a match...

Speaking of sliver solder.. it's great stuff! The other photo here is a cowl lamp that I discovered, during pant stripping, was brass and had a few axial cracks. I was able to silver solder some steel reinforcements on the inside...

post-74074-143139109425_thumb.jpg

post-74074-14313910943_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I think I have a spare I could spare... If you can, please post a photo so I can be sure it is the same.

Hi Mike - thanks again for the clip offer, it arrived here safe and sound today :-)

RJ