Need help with value of old cars

Guest Charlean

Guest Charlean

This will probably be an odd post, but my brother recently passed away and I(a woman) was left as administrator of his estate. He was a huge collector of old cars. He did autobody and paint work and had a lot of cars and parts..most that he never got around to fixing. These things are in fairly decent condition as far as I can tell.. but of course most need lots of work, but my problem is, I know nothing about cars. He was a huge Chevy fan so there are two 1937 Chevy pickups, a 1936 Chevy coupe, a 1941 Chevy Special Deluxe, a 1947 Chevy pickup, and many others, including a convertible 1967 Firebird. I was hoping someone could give me an idea where to go to find out what these things are worth as I have to sell them for the family. I have had a couple of people offer to give me prices, and of course they are wanting to buy them ...so before I do sell them, I would like to have a second opinion but I just don't know where to go besides Ebay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Charlean

Thanks. I am in northern California. I think some of them are in pretty good condition, others need more work. I guess its hard for me to know really how to describe them because I just don't know much about cars.

Thanks. I am in northern California. I think some of them are in pretty good condition, others need more work. I guess its hard for me to know really how to describe them because I just don't know much about cars.

How close to Oregon are you? I could possibly come and check them out for you and possibly give you their approximate values. John

keiser31@charter.net

Guest prs519

From a balcony seat, I would say you have a diamond in your hands if you can get Keiser to come give you some estimates. I think nobody would want to "appraise" your cars without seeing in person, unless you had a great number of excellent pics. We have discussed this evaluation problem many times on this forum, and as much as some of us

might like to help (especially for estates), we dare not for fear of disappointing someone, or being accused of undervaluing some vehicle because an identical vehicle was subsequently seen to bring much more somewhere. Of course, in publicvations such as Hemmings, one can find many appraisors who will give an estimate (for a fee), but I am

betting that the range within their estimate will be wide indeed. Which brings me to auctions, which bring upon one a new set of problems, but which nevertheless may be the fairest evaluations of all, provided the auction is of sufficient length and well advertised (Particularly, Ebay, because of their incredible market share in auctioneering). I hope

I have been helpful to you, and not a harbinger of more frustration.

I agree, keiser31 (AKA John) is a good guy and someone that you could trust to tell you the truth.

There are excellent professional appraisers out there and for a fee they will provide you with a written appraisal of the items that you need to deal with.

Here is one that I can personally highly recommend if you decide to go that route. Feel free to cruise around their web-site for more information about them.

I-VAN - Your Source for Fast and Accurate Auto Appraisals

I know that others will also provide information on professional groups that they have delt with.