1931 plymouth pushing out overflow hose ???

Guest jhnorco

Guest jhnorco

I just bought the car and was checking things over and I have coolant blown all over the undercarriage and the left side it looks like its coming from the overflow hose why? does not over heat. Looks like someone put a lot of copper flake type sealant I can see it floating in the radiator. I am thinking a blown head gasket? but doesnt seem to have any pressure. Help

Is this normal engine and compartment was all clean and redone and now everything is covered in a white coating....

Guest bofusmosby

When I first got my Pontiac, I noticed that the level in the radiator was a bit low, so I topped it off. After the engine was running a bit, I say a coolant leak also coming from the over-flow tube. My first instinct was to panic (typical for me) but I came to the conclusion that I must have filled the radiator up too high, because when the level settled at the original level it had been before I added more coolant, the leaking stopped, and to this day, it has not happened again. The hottest the ehgine has ever gotten was 180, so I know that there isn't a real problem. The level never goes down from where it has leveled out at. Is this a possibility with your car? If you had a blown head gasket or something worse to blow that much coolant out, surly the engine temp would be going up accordingly. Of course, if you haven't let the car run very long, or it hasn't been driving far, this might explain this.

When I first got my Pontiac, I noticed that the level in the radiator was a bit low, so I topped it off. After the engine was running a bit, I say a coolant leak also coming from the over-flow tube. My first instinct was to panic (typical for me) but I came to the conclusion that I must have filled the radiator up too high, because when the level settled at the original level it had been before I added more coolant, the leaking stopped, and to this day, it has not happened again. The hottest the ehgine has ever gotten was 180, so I know that there isn't a real problem. The level never goes down from where it has leveled out at. Is this a possibility with your car? If you had a blown head gasket or something worse to blow that much coolant out, surly the engine temp would be going up accordingly. Of course, if you haven't let the car run very long, or it hasn't been driving far, this might explain this.

I'm going with bofusmosby on this. The coolant level should be visible just above the core of the radiator, maybe a couple of inches below the radiator fill neck. Any higher and the expansion of the water when it gets warm will flow out until the level drops to where is should be.

If you are used to modern systems with a separate coolant recovery tank and totally full radiators this will seem really different.

Guest jhnorco
I'm going with bofusmosby on this. The coolant level should be visible just above the core of the radiator, maybe a couple of inches below the radiator fill neck. Any higher and the expansion of the water when it gets warm will flow out until the level drops to where is should be.

If you are used to modern systems with a separate coolant recovery tank and totally full radiators this will seem really different.

Maybe your right because the guy I bought it from took it to have the water pump packing nut tightened maybe the over filled it. The temp seemed to be around 140 but I need to use a IR thermomoter and check temp. None of the gauges seem acurate. I just don't like the mess.!!

• 2 weeks later...

jhnorco,

Why not build a "catch can" from a plastic pop bottle, hide it alongside the radiator, and connect it to your overflow pipe with a short piece of clear tubing. Don't forget to put an "S" bend in the tubing. Works like a siphon when she cools down.

Did this to my '40 LTD, and no more boilovers, or puddles.

Mike in Colorado

Guest carlnut50

Hey Rusty, Have you actually tried the overflow container on a non pressurized system? I had a 1974 Dodge truck for 29 years and I was afraid of the rad and heater core so I pulled the rubber gasket off the bottom of the rad cap. This prevented it from building any pressure at all but the overflow system worked the same. I would think if the cap sealed at the top (to atmosphere) then it would suck the antifreeze back in when it cooled off.