Just Purchased: 1965 GS Survivor

48Super

Here is something I think that other Riviera owners may find interesting.

Earlier this week I purchased a 1965 Riviera GS that had been in the same family for 44 years. This is a really nice “survivor” car. Other than a repaint in the 70's and normal maintenance item replacements, it is entirely original. It is the “Real Deal” with the LX code engine, BS code trans. and positraction rear. The car still has the original owners manual and Protect-O-Plate, unbroken horn blow bar, air cleaner acorn nut, limited slip tag on the differential. The pictures tell the story.

The car was purchased in 1968 by the father of the previous owner from a Ford Dealer where it had been traded in on a 1968 T-Bird (what mistake!) In 1971, he sold it to his son (an ROA/BCA member) who owned for the next 41 years. I should also add that both these guys were auto mechanics who ran their own service station. This car has been garaged and had meticulous care for decades.

I've wanted this particular car for over twenty years. Last year at our local Buick show the previous owner told me that he was thinking about selling the car and I said I would appreciate an opportunity to purchase it when he was ready. This year, at the same show, he told me he had decided to sell the car and offered it to me a very reasonable price. It did not take long to make the decision! By the next day, my1964 Riviera, which I had owned for 26 years, was sold to finance and make room for the Gran Sport.

Here's some details on the car:

It is Verde Green with a saddle custom interior. It has A/C, power windows, power seat, custom steering wheel, chrome road wheels, AM/FM w/power antenna ,rear window defroster, rear seat arm rest, door guards and automatic trunk release. The car has 97K miles on it but you would never guess that by its appearance. It drives unbelievably well and the engine does not seem to have any health issues. It was never rusted, abused or molested in any way. It doesn't even leak anything! The A/C is the only non-working item and I hope to revive it in the future.

So far, I've added a set of 4-note horns and a trunk mat which I saved from my '64. There a few little items that need to be attended to, but not much. I hope to keep it as it is just the way the last owners did for so long.

post-42951-143139089134_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089142_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089395_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089399_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089406_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089412_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139089419_thumb.jpg

Hey fellow Riviera owners,

Thanks for all the complements on the Gran Sport. Believe me, I know how fortunate I was to be able to purchase this car. Right now I'm slowly going over things and getting familiar with it which is a fun experience. I just discovered that this car also has a pair or working DELCO air adjustable rear shocks, just like the ones shown in the accessories manual, cool! I suspect that it also has the handling package as the it takes less than 3 turns lock - lock on the steering. Is there any other way to confirm this?