1925 touring top

Guest john69

Guest john69

My latest project is to replace the wooden tack strips on the top of the back seat; the long one across the back had been replaced, but was a very poor job and did not fit correctly, the side pieces were original, but had been broken and had the "lift the dot" studs broken off, and rather than attemt to try to remove the broken shanks, I figured to just replace them.

My question; the fact that hooks were used to fasten the top straps to the body, infers (to me) that the whole top would have been removable; that is, the back panel would have been fastened to the wood strip with "lift the dot" fasteners or maybe the twist type fasteners; both were used on the same cars in different applications, the latter, I think were used to fasten the sidecurtains in some places. This was one reason that I removed the rear wooden strip, which was (crudely) covered with vinyl; I wanted to see if there was evidence of the fasteners or just tacks, but alas, there was the "new" work and no evidence. Any ideas? Was the top tacked on on the back panel, or was the whole top removable with fasteners, and if so, which type were they?

John York york@napanet.net

Guest john69
Good question John. I also have to make one of those rear wooden strips. Do you plan to do it yourself? If not and you find someone who can do it, please let me know.

I am going to try to do it myself; I can use the "imperfect" one as a general guide, and fine tune it where I see problems.

John, the top on my '25 was replaced many years ago. My guess in the early '60's. My top is not fully removable since it is fastened along the back of the back of the tub with a type of welting over the tacking. the smaller rear side sections have snaps at bottom and lift the dots on the metal bows. The car really needs a new top but I don't see it happening in the near future. I'm STILL working on the gas tank.

While there were cars with fully removable tops, the attachment you describe is more common, tacked along top rear of body but snaps on sides and side of bows. These sections have to be detachable in order for the top to come down correctly.

I personally think this might be one of those rare occasions when the quest for originality can be compromised a little. From a practical point of view, being able to easily remove the top completely might be the best way to go. If it can be done without making it look obvious, I think I would be inclined to make the top easily removable - if you change your mind at a later date, I suppose you could fix it permanently. Is that a reasonable compromise?

Ray

I personally think this might be one of those rare occasions when the quest for originality can be compromised a little. From a practical point of view, being able to easily remove the top completely might be the best way to go. If it can be done without making it look obvious, I think I would be inclined to make the top easily removable - if you change your mind at a later date, I suppose you could fix it permanently. Is that a reasonable compromise?

Ray

No and you should be flogged thoroughly for suggesting such a thing

I'd like to see some pics of the area in question if you have any handy John. (no, no, no.... not pics of flogging!:rolleyes:)

My front seat back will end up being the rear of the tub if that makes sense, so I'll be dealing with a similar problem. As my DA will be not be following a standard ragtop design, any ideas would be most useful and what you do with yours would be great to see.

Ross :)

Guest john69
Good question John. I also have to make one of those rear wooden strips. Do you plan to do it yourself? If not and you find someone who can do it, please let me know.

I do plan to do it myself, in fact, today, I remade the side pieces, which were not in the best of shape, and the "lift the dot" fasteners had been broken off. Emboldened with the relative sucess that I achieved, I am ready to commence on the back piece: time will tell ---

Guest john69

I have finished making the tackstrips for my car, a process not without pitfalls! contact me at my e mail address for details. John york@napanet.net