Hello all! New owner of '88 Reatta here.

Guest astro355

Guest astro355

I bought a pretty silver Reatta on Wednesday. Drove it around for about an hour before it died. Wasn't really surprised, the car did sit for some years. Fuel gauge read 1/2 tank but acted like it ran out of gas. Pump is still working with no fuel pressure at the rail. Soaking the fittings on the fuel filter as we speak.

Anyways, the car was repainted and some American Racing wheels were added. The door handles were shaved with a keyless entry system installed. A/C even still works, retro fitted a couple of years ago.

Several small issues like interior lights don't turn off when doors are closed, slight fluttering of the screen (sometimes), cruise control doesn't work, etc. Nothing to major.

Previous owner added a second antennae, he like symmetry. Also some LED lights on the taillight and doors. :confused: They light up when you use the keyless entry or headlights. :confused:

Regardless, always fun driving a little car again.

Guest astro355

So I replace the fuel filter and have good pressure. Turn the engine over and still sounds like its getting no fuel. Pulled #1 spark plug and its dry. Injectors are not firing. I checked the fuses in the center console and all are good. I don't have any noid lights to confirm if or not the injectors are being commanded to fire. Besides the crank position sensor, what else would disable the injectors?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Congratulations and welcome astro355!

Now that you have succumb to the Reatta disease there is no hope for any chance of recovery so the best we can do is try to help you out. :rolleyes:

What is the psi of your "good" fuel pressure.

Injectors are controlled via the ECM based on many inputs.

If you haven't already, go to Ronnie's site and learn how to use the diagnostic system:

How To Access Trouble Codes - '88 & '89 Models*-*ReattaOwner.com

Computer Diagnostic Instructions - 1988/1989*-*ReattaOwner.com

You can see what the ECM thinks the injectors are doing at ECM Data readout ED06 which tells the duration of the injector pulse width it is sending. Won't tell you if injectors are really opening though.

If pressure is over 32 psi or so it should at least idle but not rev very well. Need 40+ psi to run correctly.

Might want to run some Sea Foam thru both the intake and fuel tank to clean things out if you get it running again. If the filter was clogged the injectors may be too. May have to pull and clean out of the car or replace.

Noid light is easily made with a LED and resistor on the cheap to see if pulse is reaching injectors.

Crank sensor and ICM control spark, not injector pulse.

Welcome aboard. If the fuel filter was bad enough to restrict the fuel pressure, and it sat for an extended period, it is possible the injectors are now plugged. Without a noid light, you can listen to the injectors with a stethyscope or even a long screwdriver held to the ear. You would need a helper for that. They can also be cycled with 12v and ground just to see if they will click. Injectors rarely go bad, but they can lose the ability to meter fuel through lack of use. If you don't get any injector response when turning the engine over, the most likely suspect is the crank sensor. There are tutorials on testing on Ronnie's site. If the CPS is bad, you will also lose spark. The crank sensor and and the ignition module below the coil pack control the startup of the engine and the ECM takes over after it starts. You can give it a squirt of fuel into the intake through a vacuum port to see if you get any response when cranking to see if you have spark but no fuel.

Edit: MC is correct about the ECM commanding the injectors on for a starting shot, but it must see a signal from the ICM before that will happen.

By the way, that is an interesting change with the shaved door handles. I don't believe I have ever seen that done on a Reatta.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

Welcome to the ward, no I mean forum. AutoZone will loan you a set of noids for free and as said Ronnies site Computer Diagnostic Instructions - 1988/1989*-*ReattaOwner.com is a big help.

you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

So I replace the fuel filter and have good pressure. Turn the engine over and still sounds like its getting no fuel. Pulled #1 spark plug and its dry. Injectors are not firing. I checked the fuses in the center console and all are good. I don't have any noid lights to confirm if or not the injectors are being commanded to fire. Besides the crank position sensor, what else would disable the injectors?
A set of noid lights are available in The Reatta Store for about $15. Look in the Tools & Test Equipment category.

Guest astro355

Not too much to update here, had plans for the weekend so not really anytime for the Reatta.

@ regarding fuel pressure, I was using a friend's gauge and didn't actually see the reading. I was just told, "its good". I'll just buy my own and report back on that. I could be me but the fuel pump seems to work for the initial 2 second startup but not after that. I didn't swap the relays or try unplugging the oil pressure sender, maybe tomorrow.

The CRT also seems kind of squirrelly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it flutters. Makes it hard to pull codes off of it when its being moody. Is that a common problem?

Welcome to the ward, no I mean forum. AutoZone will loan you a set of noids for free and as said Ronnies site Computer Diagnostic Instructions - 1988/1989*-*ReattaOwner.com is a big help.

you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Wow great band the Eagles, Great song Hotel California......Being from Kansas I remember the line, OZ didnt didnt give nothin to the tin man that he didnt already have........

Love that group

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Guest astro355

And could someone kindly tell me where the fuel pump relay is. I have located two relay locations, under the hood on the driver side and in the center console under the fuse panel. Both have a diagram stating what the relays are for but neither have a relay for the fuel pump. ???

Wow great band the Eagles, Great song Hotel California......Being from Kansas I remember the line, OZ didnt didnt give nothin to the tin man that he didnt already have........

Love that group

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Chuck That line is from a song is by "America" If you don't believe me just google the line.

But otherwise how about this from "Kansas"... " Carry on my wayward son"

Guest astro355

Hmm, only song I ever heard that line from is the The Eagles Hotel California. Wonder which was first. Google only had hits for Hotel California.

And could someone kindly tell me where the fuel pump relay is. I have located two relay locations, under the hood on the driver side and in the center console under the fuse panel. Both have a diagram stating what the relays are for but neither have a relay for the fuel pump. ???
The fuel pump relay is mounted on the top of the firewall.

88-89_relays_firewall.jpg

Hmm, only song I ever heard that line from is the The Eagles Hotel California. Wonder which was first. Google only had hits for Hotel California.

Someone else needs to settle this.

Hotel California is about checking into a hotel and spirits and stuff. While it is a long song there is not enough time to talk about the tin man.

However the group "America" actually has a song with the tin man in the title.

You are correct Dave. Two different songs. America's Tin Man was first, 1974. Eagle's Hotel California 1977... I think. :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GtyKcDKU5oU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><p>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NUbTW928sMU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>

Guest astro355

Thanks for clearing that up. And on a positive note, I got the Reatta running today. I decided to check on the "free" fixes. First one I went for was the ignition control module corrosion issue. It was so corroded that parts of the ignition control module base that contacts with the engine bracket had corroded off and stuck to that bracket. After a thorough cleaning, I reinstalled the ICM and it fired right up. I can't imagine that the module is in decent shape though and I'll be getting a new one on my next payday.

Thanks for clearing that up. And on a positive note, I got the Reatta running today. I decided to check on the "free" fixes. First one I went for was the ignition control module corrosion issue. It was so corroded that parts of the ignition control module base that contacts with the engine bracket had corroded off and stuck to that bracket. After a thorough cleaning, I reinstalled the ICM and it fired right up. I can't imagine that the module is in decent shape though and I'll be getting a new one on my next payday.
Sorry for getting so far off topic with the videos. I tend to do that sometimes. :)

Glad to hear the car is running again. If corrosion is that bad you should pull the plug wires off the coils and look inside at the terminals for corrosion. Corrosion between the coil and the plug wire can put a lot of stress on the coils and ICM that could lead to premature failure. You can find ICMs for sale in The Reatta Store*-*ReattaOwner.com.

Guest astro355

That was the first thing I looked for. Terminals were clean and even had some dielectric compound present. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will need more in the coming days.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Don't know if it has been suggested yet, but if your ICM base was corroded, you should definitely check and clean common ground points and positive terminal under the hood.

This shows one of them but there are 3 common grounds and one positive one.

The positive one is shown in Ronnie's picture to the right of the blue box, but not labeled. There is a second ground point on the radiator cross bracket in front of the battery above the headlight, and a third on the engine rear upper passenger's side by the PCV valve.

Negative Junction Box Location*-*ReattaOwner.com

post-55241-143139066267_thumb.jpg

post-55241-143139066269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Someone else needs to settle this.

Hotel California is about checking into a hotel and spirits and stuff. While it is a long song there is not enough time to talk about the tin man.

However the group "America" actually has a song with the tin man in the title.

Dave dog gone it you are correct and so is Ronnie.....I just got my murds all wixed to much rum at the Jamaica Party on Fathers Day....

I wont let that happen again sorry

ChucK Kerls

booreatta@cox.met

Guest astro355

Yes, thanks for that diagram. I missed one of those connections. I'll have to get it tomorrow.

I took the car to get it's emission testing. Passed with flying colors. But of course...

As soon as I pulled into work , the car started to sputter. Let my foot off of the gas, and it evened out. Depressed the gas pedal again, started to sputter and it evened out again when I let it idle. Hoping it's just low on gas as opposed to the alternative. Fuel gauge does read half a tank but who knows if it's accurate or good fuel. Guess I'll find out when I put some more fuel in it with some seafoam.

Dave dog gone it you are correct and so is Ronnie.....I just got my murds all wixed to much rum at the Jamaica Party on Fathers Day....

I wont let that happen again sorry

ChucK Kerls

booreatta@cox.met

No offense taken. It's just that when you got "reinforcements" I had to call in the "heavy artillery"

Thanks Ronnie!

Guest astro355

Thanks ronnie, I see where you are going. I could just unplug it also, right? I believe there is a default table in the ecm for the maf.

Guest astro355

And does anyone know where I can get a filler tube for the gas tank. My us rotted and leaks when I put gas in the car.

Thanks ronnie, I see where you are going. I could just unplug it also, right? I believe there is a default table in the ecm for the maf.
The engine might still run with the MAF unplugged. How well I don't know. I think you should tap on the MAF and see what happens first.

And does anyone know where I can get a filler tube for the gas tank. My us rotted and leaks when I put gas in the car.
I think there will be quite a few used parts vendors here that can help you with that. Just give them a few minutes to respond.

Don't know if it has been suggested yet, but if your ICM base was corroded, you should definitely check and clean common ground points and positive terminal under the hood.

This shows one of them but there are 3 common grounds and one positive one.

The positive one is shown in Ronnie's picture to the right of the blue box, but not labeled. There is a second ground point on the radiator cross bracket in front of the battery above the headlight, and a third on the engine rear upper passenger's side by the PCV valve.

Negative Junction Box Location*-*ReattaOwner.com

Mc, Thanks for pointing out that this tutorial could be better. I have updated it to better describe the ground points.

Yes, it should run with the MAF disconnected, but not as well as it should. Responsiveness will likely be affected but the TPS will provide the transient signal. The tap test is simple and FREE. It may not be definitive, but I have seen it work before. I have found that connecting, or disconnecting, the MAF while running will usually cause a stall.

Guest astro355

Sorry about not following up on this sooner. Adding gas fixed the condition. I'm not leaking any fuel but whenever the fuel level reaches 1/2 tank, it starts to run funny and die. Time and again, once I put more fuel back in, it evens out and runs fine. So either its got a weak fuel pump that once is exposed to air starts to go south or maybe the pulsator is leaking/defective? Do these cars have pulsators?