Mystery: What Would Start This Reatta On Fire?

juddev

History: this is my old 89 reatta I bought about 6 years ago in TX.

About 3 years ago I sold cheap it to a handicapped woman I know named Molly.

Anytime Molly has A problem she brings it to me and I fix it, either with parts from my herd or she will pay for the parts and I will install them (free labor)

Last week she came over and said that the car wasn't idling correctly and was making a popping noise, I cleaned the IAC and passages and ran about 3 oz of seafoam thru the vacuum port on the top of the engine. I also scanned the computer and it came back with a history code concerning the oxygen sensor.

We let the car sit for 30-45 minutes and then started it and smoked out the neighborhood for awhile. After the smoke cleared I test drove it and it ran fine except that the transmission slips going from 2-3 or about 17 mph. the transmission problem has been that way for a year or so. She leaves and drives 8 miles or so and goes to a goodwill store and window shops for an hour or so. She finishes shopping and starts driving home, about 3 blocks later she is having a hard time getting past 17 Mph up a small hill and gives it gas instead of letting the transmission slowly slip in to place (what I would do in that situation) and all of a sudden the under carriage of the car is on FIRE underneath the console in the cat converter area, she calls 911 and they come and put out the fire (no water went in the engine compartment or the interior) She calls me and I come out to see it, no major damage except it smells and the fire dept cut the neg battery cable. The next day I bring a battery cable from my herd, install it and it starts right up and I drive it to her apt. She states that before it started on fire it was making that popping sound again (this is a sound that I never heard the engine make)

My thinking is that the cat converter heated up red hot and started any oil/trans fluid that was on the under carriage of the car on fire, but why would the cat heat up like that, I have seen this happen before when using seafoam, but this was well after we had finished and all the seafoam was already burned away hours ago.

Any Ideas On How And Why This Happened?

Thanks

I expect you're right on with the cat.

My '89 had a misfire for a while. One day I noticed a burning smell coming from the car. I looked under the car and the cat was glowing red (almost white in places) in about a 5" section.

I deduced that the cat had clogged with the excess fumes from the misfire.

my guess is that the bad O2 sensor probably caused the car to run rich and clogged up the cat.

I will change the oxygen sensor and see if i can convince her that the car is safe to drive, otherwise she has no way of getting to the 5-6 doctors appointments she has every week.

It must really suck to live on $637 a month SS.

I agree that it was most likely the cat, but I think there is another issue involved. The O2 sensor not working properly was most likely sending extra fuel through the system, causing abnormally hot exhaust tempitures.

My advice is replace both the cat and the O2. The car will run better and she will not risk having it happen again.

A back pressure test should be done on the pipe going to the converter to determine if the converter is plugged up. You can do the test while you have the O2 sensor out. Driving with a plugged converter is definitely a fire hazard if it is overheating.

Guest Corvanti

agree w/ clogged cat and bad O2 sensor.

question for Mr. Kerls: wouldn't the straight pipe mess up the O2 sensor readings?

also check your state regulations for inspections. some states require if your vehicle came with a cat, it must have one - even if your state does not require emissions testing.

i "know" a guy that took a cat off a 80 Corvette, reamed it out then replaced the shell...

not that i would ever recommend violating a federal law!!! :eek:

question for Mr. Kerls: wouldn't the straight pipe mess up the O2 sensor readings?

Cat is downstream from the O2 sensor.

No cat would fail California visual test, if nothing else. But a cat in good condition really doesn't add much back pressure.